iMac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iMac

I have this craving to buy a iMac. In fact I have lusted after one for some time now, despite reservations on price v specification. iMacs always appear expensive compared with PC.
    All Mac users I talk too praise their machines over PC but none can give a definitive reason, their reply always seems emotional rather than practical.
    There is of course the disillusionment many have with PC & Windows, but the praise of Macs appears to me to go deeper than that.
    I am trying before risking domestic harmony by buying a iMac (my wife has threatened to change the locks if I buy one) to understand the love for Macs over PC.

Patrick

Re: iMac

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
    I have this craving to buy a iMac. In fact I have lusted after one for some time now, despite reservations on price v specification. iMacs always appear expensive compared with PC.
    All Mac users I talk too praise their machines over PC but none can give a definitive reason, their reply always seems emotional rather than practical.
    There is of course the disillusionment many have with PC & Windows, but the praise of Macs appears to me to go deeper than that.
    I am trying before risking domestic harmony by buying a iMac (my wife has threatened to change the locks if I buy one) to understand the love for Macs over PC.

Patrick
    Hi Patrick, after using an iMac for over 2 years, I now have a MacBook Pro too. I still find it difficult to give a definitive reason why I like them. I think at the end of the day they are a tool like any other computer and they do the job as well as any other might. Personally I think to try and say definitively that the Mac is better than the PC is the road to nowhere. Sure the Mac hardware is really cool and stylish, the MBP I have is a beautiful thing and somewhat tactile to boot The build quality is superb, but then you are paying for that luxury. As you know the iMac screens are great, though you can also get as good for a PC. Both my Macs run virtually silently, with only the HD noise that is noticeable most of the time. The fans rarely seem to cut in and they certainly don't seem to get as hot as my old Acer Pentium 4 laptop or the desktop machine with its fans running constantly. From an aesthetic point of view then they are a joy to use.

They come with a suite of software which is integrated with each other in ways I never realised at first. Most of it I never use, but that's just me.

PS CS4 and Lightroom2 run smoothly and I've never had any problems with either. Adobe swapped my CS3 PC version for a Mac version, so that was no problem, and I've had similar results with a couple of other bits of software I have a licence for. As for Office type software my MBP now has Open Office from Sun Microsystems on it, and its more than adequate.

You have to be careful with external drives, that they are not
    Last edited by Stephen; 26-12-09, 05:58 PM. Reason: correcting grammar
    Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

PEDER WINGE.
      (Denmark)
      "You dont take a photograph,you make it"

Comment

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

We seem to have a select little band of Mac users on here now Perhaps soon we will need to start a Mac board on the forum
          Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            We seem to have a select little band of Mac users on here now Perhaps soon we will need to start a Mac board on the forum
            It may be some time before I join the Mac clan; I still have some domestic persuasion to do.

Patrick

Comment

It may be some time before I join the Mac clan; I still have some domestic persuasion to do.

Patrick
              I tend to go for the purchase and then make up for it over the next few months.

best regards

josh
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Bear View Post
                I tend to go for the purchase and then make up for it over the next few months.

best regards

josh

Comment

As a beginner with Mac, this book on iMAC OS X is very good,it helped me very early and can be recommet (250 pages).

PEDER WINGE.
                  (Denmark)
                  "You dont take a photograph,you make it"

Comment

Originally posted by pewidane View Post
                    As a beginner with Mac, this book on iMAC OS X is very good,it helped me very early and can be recommet (250 pages).

Hi

Thank you, its that man again does he ever stop producing books.

Patrick

Comment

Hi

Thank you, its that man again does he ever stop producing books.

Patrick
                      Haha, I know what you mean Patrick, frankly I don't know when he finds the time to do all this publishing as well as his NAPP work, his Blog, his seminar work as well as his regular photography work.
                      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

I used to be a PC user until 3 years ago I bought an iMac19"" only for photograpy work. I am very comfortable with it, it did not meant any specail effort to learn how to use it ( it is very intuitive and user friendly), the screen is superb, it also can be easyly color calibrated with external devices (colorvision or any other one), it has no virus problems, and I believe I made the right election. I have been using photoshop and my current version 4 runs perfectly well as well as the open office and seveeral other softwares. I use exgernal hard drives formatted for maca and in raid system (1Tb each disk) as well as time machine in another independent external drive.
                        I must say that after having work with both systems, I really prefere mac. Installing and uninstalling programs is very straight forward and easy, printers work very well and in adition to USB ports, it has firewire and recently esata conections for faster transfer data. Further more, you can run Windows OS with all its programs on the same mac in a virtually mode, and therefore have the advantages of that system as well!! So for the price of the mac, you will have both systems Tell that to your wife...it is very convincing...Regards Horacio

Comment

Originally posted by Horacio View Post
                          I used to be a PC user until 3 years ago I bought an iMac19"" only for photograpy work. I am very comfortable with it, it did not meant any specail effort to learn how to use it ( it is very intuitive and user friendly), the screen is superb, it also can be easyly color calibrated with external devices (colorvision or any other one), it has no virus problems, and I believe I made the right election. I have been using photoshop and my current version 4 runs perfectly well as well as the open office and seveeral other softwares. I use exgernal hard drives formatted for maca and in raid system (1Tb each disk) as well as time machine in another independent external drive.
                          I must say that after having work with both systems, I really prefere mac. Installing and uninstalling programs is very straight forward and easy, printers work very well and in adition to USB ports, it has firewire and recently esata conections for faster transfer data. Further more, you can run Windows OS with all its programs on the same mac in a virtually mode, and therefore have the advantages of that system as well!! So for the price of the mac, you will have both systems Tell that to your wife...it is very convincing...Regards Horacio

Comment

i have been a mac user since the debut of the MAC SE with a 20MB internal hard drive. that was big stuff back then, pc's were still using those large "floppy" drives. currently i am running a quad core and a macbook pro. when i teach at the university, it's all pc. being left handed is a handicap enough without having to think backwards. the college IT guy told me that serious people only used pc's like him. to which i replied, "i'm self employed and you get paid by the hour. your point?"
                            (sorry pc users, just my opinion)
                            before i get bashed here, let me say one word...
                            VISTA
                            and now a moment of silence.

Comment

Originally posted by kennykodak View Post
                              before i get bashed here, let me say one word...
                              VISTA
                              and now a moment of silence.

Comment

Working...
                              X