Any questions about Panasonic Lumix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any questions about Panasonic Lumix?

My good friend, Panasonic's Michiharu Uematsu, is in town and coming over for dinner tonight.

If you have any questions about Panasonic Lumix and Leica lenses, etc., let me know and I will try to get some answers from him

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

I recently own an FS5 and a FX35, both are Leica badged lenses. I believe that we could expect best result only from a lens posture the Leica lens. Can you tell me what is the difference between a Leica lens and a Lumix?

Comment

Originally posted by selenajain View Post
      I recently own an FS5 and a FX35, both are Leica badged lenses. I believe that we could expect best result only from a lens posture the Leica lens. Can you tell me what is the difference between a Leica lens and a Lumix?
      I can answer that; Panasonic designs and manufactures its own lenses - I have been to its Yamagata plant to see for myself. This ranges from tiny lenses for laser pickups in optical disc drives to elements in system camera lenses. They are also experts in moulded glass aspherical lens manufacturing, which is a difficult task to get right. Panasonic has been manufacturing lenses for over 30 years at Yamagata.

In the early 2000s Panasonic teamed up with Leica and also formed its Lumix camera brand. Panasonic and Leica exchanged technologies; Panasonic started designing and manufacturing Leica-branded lenses that had to meet strict optical standards set by Leica and Panasonic also manufactured cameras that were slightly modified and re-branded as Leicas.

It's important to understand that Panasonic Leica-branded optics are designed and made by Panasonic. Leica doesn't make its own lenses in the same volumes as Panasonic but through its partnership with Panasonic, Leica has expanded its product range and increased its manufacturing volume. Leica's use of digital technologies in its cameras, from autofocus to internal electronics has almost certainly benefited to a degree from its association with Panasonic. Currently, Panasonic Lumix and Leica are partners in the S-mount mirrorless platform for full frame cameras.

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Working...
      X