DPNow personal photo galleries coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPNow personal photo galleries coming

We're in the middle of installing PhotoPost, the personal photo gallery system that integrates with vBulletin (which this forum runs on).

You will be able to upload photo to your gallery and embed them in you forum posts if you wish. The gallery system also has its own photo feedback and rating system.

As soon the installation is stable, I'll open it up for public testing.

If anyone here has used a PhotoPost gallery elsewhere, please do let us know what options are particularly good - any feedback at all would be appreciated.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: DPNow personal photo galleries coming

Hi Ian,
    Good to see you with a proper forum at last

I'd suggest you forget the ratings in the photopost gallery, they always lead to problems and are irrelevant.
    Run the largest amount of latest photos you can get away with... we run 4 columns x 9 rows on birdforum, and slightly less on our other sites . Try to avoid having other banks of random photos on the main gallery page but getting a randon bank of 5 on the main forum page is a nice touch.

Implement a daily upload allowance for members, say 4 or 5 per 24hrs.

The galery announcement box is rather useful, don't forget about it.

cheers,
    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post

I'd suggest you forget the ratings in the photopost gallery, they always lead to problems and are irrelevant.

cheers,
      Andy
      I agree wholeheartedly with Andy re: those ratings!

I'd say get rid of them.

Pol

Comment

Hi Ian,

Implement a daily upload allowance for members, say 4 or 5 per 24hrs.

cheers,
        Andy
        I'm not so sure such a limit would be ideal in DPNow. I can see why it's necessary in BF, where you have thousands of members and an extremely busy board ....... but I feel DPNow needs a slightly larger daily allowance for the benefit of those who might want to post a Photojournalism series.

Probably a good idea about setting some sort of limit per 24 hrs though. It certainly helps maintain some sort of balance in the gallery.

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
          I'm not so sure such a limit would be ideal in DPNow. I can see why it's necessary in BF, where you have thousands of members and an extremely busy board ....... but I feel DPNow needs a slightly larger daily allowance for the benefit of those who might want to post a Photojournalism series.

Probably a good idea about setting some sort of limit per 24 hrs though. It certainly helps maintain some sort of balance in the gallery.

Pol
          Yes, in the short term, maybe let it go... but not far down the road, someone will always spoil the party with mass uploads, and you need to leglislate against it. A gallery main page with a large variety of photographers/styles and subjects is a good advert for the site.

I'd have thought 5 per day is ample for all needs, we do have specific issues at BF, so 3 per day is quite severe, we have 4 per day at our photo forum site, and 5 per day at another... so it does vary accordingly.

cheers,
          Andy

Comment

Yes, in the short term, maybe let it go... but not far down the road, someone will always spoil the party with mass uploads, and you need to leglislate against it. A gallery main page with a large variety of photographers/styles and subjects is a good advert for the site.

I'd have thought 5 per day is ample for all needs, we do have specific issues at BF, so 3 per day is quite severe, we have 4 per day at our photo forum site, and 5 per day at another... so it does vary accordingly.

cheers,
            Andy

You'd definitely know a lot more about it than me! I sometimes wonder how on earth you cope with all the activity on BF.

Very sound advice about having a wide variety of styles, subjects and photographers on the main page too and no doubt the limitations are helpful for that.

Pol

Comment

Working...
            X