Droning on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Droning on

What to do when you have the sniffles and the weather is grey and not good for taking pictures?

Go out with your new drone for flight practice - I was a little hesitant at first as this was my first flight with my new toy - at my age I need something to occupy my mind when conditions are not too good, It is a small machine so it needs little wind or it could be blown off course quite quickly.
    I certainly need lots of practice before I can take off its crash frame.

Here is a short video of its first time in the air.

http://youtu.be/bvkO2BVmAA8

Happy New Year.

Brave man. I have only just sold my drone which I have had for 3 years. Never did have the courage to fly it. When the new laws came into force I thought I had better pass it onto someone who understood the rules and was capable of flying it. I envy you as I'm sure you will get good use out of it. Keep the videos coming.
    Regards Ron. Live each day as if it was your last. One day you will be right.

Comment

Nice. Far better quality than either of mine. I made the mistake of buying drones that advertised HD quality without checking reviews. Both maxed out at 640 x 480. If I do get another one, I'd like to choose one that will work with my GoPro Hero8
      If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.
      GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

looks like you have got the hang of it really quickly like the crash cage
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/petebphotos/

Comment

Hi Ron -

I was a little nervy to begin with but as the minute of flying time passed I thought I would land. The next time I shall spend more time in the air etc. - thanks.

--------------------------------
          Hi Pat -

The DJi Mavic Mini in a very short time since it was introduced has built up quite a following due to its build and producing good video quality etc., also flying time of up to 30 minutes on one battery.
          My purchase was based on the fact its weight of just 249g so not needing the licence requirement recently introduced here in the UK. Thanks for commenting

-----------------------------
          Hi Peter -

Thanks - watching so many videos on YouTube the bug got me I think the crash cage will remain on when flying around trees and other obstacles until my skills reach a certain level.

B
          Last edited by Barr1e; 2 weeks ago. Reason: spelling

Comment

That looked a lot of fun, Barr1e. Images were good. Can see your going to enjoy using this.
            Last edited by Garry; 2 weeks ago. Reason: Typo
            Canon 7D 50D 400D Canon 300mm f4 L IS Canon 70 - 200 f2.8 L IS Sigma 150 - 500 f6.3 OS Sigma 50mm f1.4

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post
              That looked a lot of fun, Barrie. Images were good. Can see your going to enjoy using this.

It's a nice unit - thanks for commenting Garry.

Comment

Originally posted by patmoore View Post
                Nice. Far better quality than either of mine. I made the mistake of buying drones that advertised HD quality without checking reviews. Both maxed out at 640 x 480. If I do get another one, I'd like to choose one that will work with my GoPro Hero8
                I'm not sure that's a great strategy as the drone would have to be huge to carry it and there are much smaller drones now that can film and take stills extremely well with their built-in cameras.

Ian
                Founder/editor
                Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Barr1e View Post
                  Hi Ron -

I was a little nervy to begin with but as the minute of flying time passed I thought I would land. The next time I shall spend more time in the air etc. - thanks.

--------------------------------
                  Hi Pat -

The DJi Mavic Mini in a very short time since it was introduced has built up quite a following due to its build and producing good video quality etc., also flying time of up to 30 minutes on one battery.
                  My purchase was based on the fact its weight of just 249g so not needing the licence requirement recently introduced here in the UK. Thanks for commenting

-----------------------------
                  Hi Peter -

Thanks - watching so many videos on YouTube the bug got me I think the crash cage will remain on when flying around trees and other obstacles until my skills reach a certain level.

B
                  Yes - very smart move by DJI to make a sub-250g drone. I used to have a sub-250g camera drone but its camera didn't have a gimbal and the digital stabilisation, while effective, caused black bars to appear. I currently have a Parrot Anafi but I haven't used it since last April!

Ian

Founder/editor

Comment

I'm hopeful this weekend's promise of dry weather materialises as the drone has been grounded (apart from a 30 second appearance this past Wednesday).
                    Anne and I only carried our small cameras today due to the very wet paths and fields that have taken a good soaking of late.
                    The farmers must be frantic as most sown items are under some deep water.
                    Fingers crossed.

Comment

Hope you get to use it, Barr1e. The weather is supposed to be good. Clear sunny and frosty.
                      But it has been miserable here all week. Our garden is like a quagmire.
                      Canon 7D 50D 400D Canon 300mm f4 L IS Canon 70 - 200 f2.8 L IS Sigma 150 - 500 f6.3 OS Sigma 50mm f1.4

Comment

-3 at the moment - the greenhouse is covered in frost - never seen it do that before (this is the first winter we've had it).

But we've only had a very few days of frost so far this winter - it's definitely on a warming trend.

Ian
                        Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                          -3 at the moment - the greenhouse is covered in frost - never seen it do that before (this is the first winter we've had it).

But we've only had a very few days of frost so far this winter - it's definitely on a warming trend.

Ian
                          It was very cold today out in the countryside but the bright weather brought the hardy types out - runners, walkers and those with dogs. There are a few ideas enbedded in the drone and I could only trial one of them as I thought I might upset those who wanted to enjoy the peace of the day.

http://youtu.be/D71CNX2jdRs

B
                          Last edited by Ian; 2 days ago.

Comment

Pre programmed then ? Clever. How many programs are installed ?

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post
                              Pre programmed then ? Clever. How many programs are installed ?
                              Pre programmed - I was looking for those words to use rather than mine, just tired from a long day.

http://www.dji.com/uk/mavic-mini/specs

Thanks for commenting Garry.

B

Comment

Working...
                              X