Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short eared owl

From my collection of wild birds.

The first was long distance and in bad light, hence ISO 800 Image is slightly grainy. But I like the shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_7961.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	152571

The second is possibly the same bird, as it was taken in the same spot only 17 days later. The weather was better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9318a.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	554.2 KB
ID:	152572
    Canon 7D 50D 400D Canon 300mm f4 L IS Canon 70 - 200 f2.8 L IS Sigma 150 - 500 f6.3 OS Sigma 50mm f1.4

Two nice shots there Garry. Owls are nolonger my favourite bird after having seen my little dog swooped on twice by an exscape European Eagle Owl. Quite frightening as they are silent in flight. We hear many owls at night here. Our retirement park owners have put up several nesting boxes for them, which is part of the David Bellamy wild life project we get awards for most years. We know they are around but very rearly see them.
    Regards Ron. Live each day as if it was your last. One day you will be right.

Comment

Thanks for your comments Ron. Yes. There have been many reports of larger birds of prey attacking small dogs and cats. The Eurasian / European Eagle Owl, which to my understanding was at one time a native bird here, is a monster of a bird. We had an escaped, or released Eurasian Eagle owl in my neighbourhood some yrs back. Big bird indeed.
      Canon 7D 50D 400D Canon 300mm f4 L IS Canon 70 - 200 f2.8 L IS Sigma 150 - 500 f6.3 OS Sigma 50mm f1.4

Comment

Very nice - presumably a wild bird?

I do hear them occasionally at night here. There are lots of mice in our gardens. I thought I might have seen one in the day time once but by the time I got the camera it was gone.

Ian
        Founder/editor
        Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

• Garry
          Garry commented
          Editing a comment
          Most definitely wild, Ian. We are fortunate to see Long eared owls, Short eared owls , Barn owls and Tawny owls, and once a Little owl

Here's the one that attacked my dog. As it was used to humans it hung around and let me get a couple of shots of it.

Comment

Wow ! That's a big fella Ron ! The Eagle owl that we saw was also used to humans. They have eyes like gold balls.

Flash didn't worry him either ! Two super captures. Thanks.

Comment

At first I didn't know what sort of owl it was. My knowledgeable neighbours told me when they see the pictures. Googled it and found out they are also used for hunting by men on horseback. A few days later it was on the news that they were trying to recapture it in Bury St Edmund, which is 12 miles from me.​​​​​

Comment

Working...
            X