• Show
Clear All

Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2)

Here's a cool one - cool as in cold that is

"My own suspicion is that the universe is not only stranger than we suppose, but stranger than we can suppose."
      --John Haldane

Comment

Winter snow scenes shots usually have bluey shadows. I often have difficulty in deciding whether or not to make them neutral.

Ian
        Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
          Winter snow scenes shots usually have bluey shadows. I often have difficulty in deciding whether or not to make them neutral.

Ian
          yes i can see that but i think i prefer them blue it adds to the feeling of cold - I checked and they were blue in the original picture as well before I darkened highlights.
          cheers
          spl
          "My own suspicion is that the universe is not only stranger than we suppose, but stranger than we can suppose."
          --John Haldane

Comment

Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition (No.2) - LAST CALL FOR ENTRIES!

There's just under an hour remaining of this second Salon Competition, so if there are any of you holding onto suitable images, now is the time to post them. Don't be shy

I'll look through the submissions tonight and post the winner and notable runners up no later than tomorrow morning. The winner will then need to either start a new thread (including a copy/paste of the rules) and a new contest, or nominate someone to do so.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far.

Comment

And The Winner Is...

...wait for it, wait for it...

Okay, firstly thanks to:

Spl, CoupeKid, Andrew Thatcher, JonMikal, Ian, Archangel, Jds9000, Pops, Mowgli, Pol, Stephen, JoLeady, Autumn and Peter for their interesting interpretations of the theme "Shooting into the Sun".

Having looked through the entries as closely as web-resolution photos would allow, I decided that the winning image would simply be the one which came closest to "hitting the spot" for me. Given the range of ablity in terms of the entrants, I didn't think it would be fair to take a critical, objective approach, so I didn't. The best shot is the one I like the most, it's that simple

Ian, your shot of Cologne Cathedral is superb, as is Stephen's Tate Modern sun, but in the interests of fairness and all that...

A notable mention firstly for Pol's De la Warr bandstand. I like it because it's different, because the stand itself is an interesting piece of design and because it met the brief perfectly. Nice one Pol.

Third place goes to Mowgli, for the Cobo sillhouettes scene. Great colours, a stunning sun and a neat composition. The (sharpening?) halos and poor quality of the web image were all that stopped me placing it higher, but I'm sure that as a print it would look fabulous. Good work.

Second place goes to CoupeKid for his Stanwick Lake scene with the swan sillhouettes. The whole thing has a peaceful serenity to it, made even better by the warm light and another great sun. Very nice.

The winner of this second Salon is Autumn. The shot of the low sun through the suspension bridge in Lisbon is beautifully composed, nicely exposed and aesthetically spot on. The whole feel of the shot suggests that a measured, considered approach was taken and for me it's the best of show. Well done.

So congratulations to Autumn, who by default is now the Curator of the next Salon. Please copy and paste the rules and start a new thread with a theme of your choosing.

Thanks to everyone who entered for making such an effort and of course for the great standard of the entries themselves. Cheers

Comment

Re: And The Winner Is...

Way to go Autumn!

If you need any help with setting up the next competition, just let me know.

And congratulations again!

Ian
                Founder/editor

Comment

Thank you for choosing my image. There were so many good ones that I NEVER expected to win. I just entered for fun.

My excitement at having won, was soon marred when I read that I was the new Curator. Having just had a good nights sleep, my heart is now pounding and my first thought of a subject was "Fear". However, I have decided against that as I don 't want to view frightening images!

I will post the new subject matter, when I have given it a little thought - it will be within 24 hours.

About 3 years ago we went on a cruise calling at Lisbon and as we left, the setting sun was through this bridge. I was so excited as I had tried very hard with the photographs, only to never see them, as I was having incompatibility problems with certain compact flash media and the G3 and my CF card fried. I was, therefore, very keen to have another shot. This was the rising sun. I have to say I was pleased with the result.

Thank you for choosing it and I will do my best to be a "Fair and honourable" curator.
                  Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                    Way to go Autumn!

If you need any help with setting up the next competition, just let me know.

And congratulations again!

Ian
                    Thanks Ian.

I shall probably be in touch with you later today when I have had time to read the rules! I'm a bit pushed atm.
                    Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

A difficult task, well done Bearface and congrats to Autumn
                      -------------------------

Comment

Well done Autumn, and thanks to Bearface for curating the Salon, you made a good choice. I look forward to the next theme and competition.

I'm hopeful that as our numbers grow more people will feel confident to enter the Salon Competition. This latest one has had more entries and more views than the first so hopefully this will the case.
                        Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Good salon - thank you bearface.

Well done Autumn - it's a cracker, I love it!

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn View Post
                            Thank you for choosing my image. There were so many good ones that I NEVER expected to win. I just entered for fun.

My excitement at having won, was soon marred when I read that I was the new Curator. Having just had a good nights sleep, my heart is now pounding and my first thought of a subject was "Fear". However, I have decided against that as I don 't want to view frightening images!

I will post the new subject matter, when I have given it a little thought - it will be within 24 hours.

About 3 years ago we went on a cruise calling at Lisbon and as we left, the setting sun was through this bridge. I was so excited as I had tried very hard with the photographs, only to never see them, as I was having incompatibility problems with certain compact flash media and the G3 and my CF card fried. I was, therefore, very keen to have another shot. This was the rising sun. I have to say I was pleased with the result.

Thank you for choosing it and I will do my best to be a "Fair and honourable" curator.

Nice one Autumn! Well deserved!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bearface View Post
                              ...wait for it, wait for it...

Okay, firstly thanks to:

Spl, CoupeKid, Andrew Thatcher, JonMikal, Ian, Archangel, Jds9000, Pops, Mowgli, Pol, Stephen, JoLeady, Autumn and Peter for their interesting interpretations of the theme "Shooting into the Sun".

Having looked through the entries as closely as web-resolution photos would allow, I decided that the winning image would simply be the one which came closest to "hitting the spot" for me. Given the range of ablity in terms of the entrants, I didn't think it would be fair to take a critical, objective approach, so I didn't. The best shot is the one I like the most, it's that simple

Ian, your shot of Cologne Cathedral is superb, as is Stephen's Tate Modern sun, but in the interests of fairness and all that...

A notable mention firstly for Pol's De la Warr bandstand. I like it because it's different, because the stand itself is an interesting piece of design and because it met the brief perfectly. Nice one Pol.

Third place goes to Mowgli, for the Cobo sillhouettes scene. Great colours, a stunning sun and a neat composition. The (sharpening?) halos and poor quality of the web image were all that stopped me placing it higher, but I'm sure that as a print it would look fabulous. Good work.

Second place goes to CoupeKid for his Stanwick Lake scene with the swan sillhouettes. The whole thing has a peaceful serenity to it, made even better by the warm light and another great sun. Very nice.

The winner of this second Salon is Autumn. The shot of the low sun through the suspension bridge in Lisbon is beautifully composed, nicely exposed and aesthetically spot on. The whole feel of the shot suggests that a measured, considered approach was taken and for me it's the best of show. Well done.

So congratulations to Autumn, who by default is now the Curator of the next Salon. Please copy and paste the rules and start a new thread with a theme of your choosing.

Thanks to everyone who entered for making such an effort and of course for the great standard of the entries themselves. Cheers

Thanks Bearface! I am more than happy with a second, thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of this competition. Well done Autumn for an excellent win!
                              sigpic

Comment

Congratulations to Autumn for winning this contest with that very nice photo and also to all other participants that made this thread interesting.

I'm new into this website and forum, but I must admit I do like events like that and as long as I have some relevant photos to any competition and not only, I will participate.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                                X