Fortnightly Salon: Looking Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fortnightly Salon Competition

Less than 24hrs left now to post an entry into the Salon. There are some interesting shots so far, though I notice a couple of candidates in the Gallery that have not been entered yet
    Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Small beginnings then for a competition that we hope will continue. Some quality images in there though and its been a tricky one for me to decide on a winner.

Lets go through them then and these are my thoughts............

1 Well that was mine so we can forget that
        2 Bearface, as with a few the subject is looking up at the camera looking down, nice concept, love the depth of field and that EYE Everything just comes together.
        3 Pol, the light in the centre of the stairwell, I just love this for the overall effect of the spiralling lines, shades and tones.
        4 Coupekid, a similar concept to 2 but with attitude Love that hat and that cheeky sassy face.
        5 Ian, his Bar Code picture is a stunning shot against the blue of (presumably) the sky during the blue hour. The shot has great impact and in the context of the title works very well.
        6 Mike Parr, great texture on the stonework of this cenotaph/memorial. The eye is certainly led straight to the sky.
        7 Richard, a really crackin shot of the Matterhorn, where the eye is led up through the 'tunnel' created by the trees to that icon of the Swiss Alps.
        8 Peter, a classic way of leading the eye, have to say I definately see it as going up and not the other way as has been suggested. Lovely texture in the steps too. I just want to see whats round the corner at the top
        9 JonMikal, well the figure definately does the business for you there Jon We all do it as well when visiting such places. Nice control of verticals too.
        10 Lumix, nicely lit and cute still life Ron, a slight variation on the theme too.
        11 Autumn, I just love this and the fantastic lines and curves that all lead the eye up. This has a great airy and compelling feel to it. Exposure and focus spot on too.

So lets cut to the chase and decide on a winner

1st Bearface
        2nd Pol
        3rd Autumn

So its over to you Tim. Just decide on a theme and create a new thread by copying and pasting the rules etc.

Note: Tim (Bearface) is away till Thursday, so we will have to wait for a new Salon
        Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

congrats to all the winners

Comment

Stephen, maybe I should have entered this one instead?

My guess is that the workman finished the car park after visiting my Bar Code bar

Congratulations to all who entered and roll-on the next competition!

Ian
            Founder/editor
            Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Congratulations Bearface. A worthy winner. Personally, I find this modern type of pose rather disturbing. There is a funny man who advertises on the Focus on Imaging Programme in the same pose. However, the detail on the hat, hands, nails and particularly the eyes (looking up) are absolutely spot on and meet the challenge exactly.

Congrats as well Pol. An excellent image. I have tried this type of thing a few times (spiral staircase) but never with any success. I love the colouring and tones, so suitable for this image.
              Last edited by Autumn; 03-10-06, 04:33 PM. Reason: To remove the quote
              Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post

Stephen, maybe I should have entered this one instead?

Ian

That's enough to drive anybody up the wall, Ian.

Very good salon, some excellent entries and a nice summary from Stephen.

Kudos to Bearface and the 'tapered-man' with the mesmerising eyes.

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                  That's enough to drive anybody up the wall, Ian.

Pol
                  Here's another way of looking at it

Ian

Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                    Here's another way of looking at it

Ian

You can't trust some of these foreigners to do anything properly y'know.

It's very clever in fact. I've been having a closer look at it, the right way up (if you can call it that) and the parking notices and bay markings are more or less exactly in line .... leading along the ground then up the wall.

I'm guessing it's some form of street art or sculpture; is that right?

Pol

Comment

Well, it's actually the parking lot for the Press at the Cologne Messe, where Photokina was held last week. Rather mundane when it's put like that!

Ian
                      Founder/editor

Comment

Just adding my congrats to the winners, cant wait for the next one.
                        I have enjoyed loking at everyones interpretation of the theme, I hope the next one attracts a few more contributions,
                        well done to all
                        Mike

Comment

I would also like to say well done to the winners. It made me look at the photo I had to take in a different way. Looking forward to the next one.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/petebphotos/

Comment

Working...
                          X