Comment

Re: An Eye for a Photo

Excellent.

dave R
        Cheers
        Dave R

Comment

Excellent shot! The B&W seems to enhance the pic even more! Surprising how much detail & the clarity of reflection!
          Jocelyn

Comment

Ive not calibrated my monitor for a few month's, but to me the eye seems far tooo dark!
            Excellent idea though well done for giving it a try. Not very sharp either.
            Ash.
            http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk

Comment

You disappoint me Ash, but you have missed the point it seems. The eye is very dark because it is mostly black, and the only sharp portion of the image is the main interest - me!
              Thanks for commenting.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by rogleale View Post
                You disappoint me Ash, but you have missed the point it seems. The eye is very dark because it is mostly black, and the only sharp portion of the image is the main interest - me!
                Thanks for commenting.

Roger
                Hi Roger, sorry for dissapointing you but I was only giving my opinion to an image that you posted on the critique part of the forum!
                I did not think I was too harsh, but I stand by my comment on the eye being too dark.
                Maybe you have your monitor set too bright or something.
                Did you want me to say it was a wonderful picture when really I did not think so?
                That not only gives you false feedback to your work but makes me wonder why I bother contributing at all if its not true to my judgment!
                Thanks
                Ash.

Comment

Originally posted by rogleale View Post
                  The eye is very dark because it is mostly black, and the only sharp portion of the image is the main interest - me!
                  I think if you have to explain what the subject of your image is then there may be something wrong with the image.

I agree with Ash that the eye is too dark (my monitor is calibrated) I have copied it to my PP program and can see lots more detail in the eye when I move the brightness slider.

The eye is black but you should know that as you are using the reflection properties of a shining black surface that you should be able to see more detail in the reflection so the eye should be lightened up.

Then there are the upper left corner of blown highlights, the large OOF right half with the fly that are distracting from the eye. Cropping the image and taking care of the blown highlights may give you a stronger image.

You may think my critique is harsh but if you want to learn to be a better photographer you are not served with "attaboy" comments IMHO.

Oh, when you post a new image please keep the horizontal dimension on or below 800 pixels, people (like me) hate to scroll horizontally to read text and see the rest of an image.

Have a nice day
                  Henk

Comment

Hi Henk, Ash,

Oh dear!! I am afraid that you completely misunderstood me.
                    I was not disappointed in Ash, I was disappointed that I had not got across what I was trying to produce,
                    a very low key b & w with just a small point of interest, and that the critiques were quite justified.
                    We all see things differently, like some things and hate others!

This is not an 'attaboy' as you put it Henk, I am sorry that you had to scroll, but if you had read all the posts
                    you would have seen that I did apologise for the outsize post.
                    Thank you for the advice on how to become a better photographer, I shall try to keep it in mind, but at my age it may be rather difficult!

The out of focus area is, of course, a pity but we are often constrained by our abilities, our equipment, and the limitations of the moment.
                    This is the original I worked from, and I quite like the fly!

Roger

Comment

If this is the original then why on earth did you post that awful b&w shot? We are all here to help, saying you are dissapointed in critique is like saying well thanks but no thanks stuff you!
                      And we did not missunderstand you Roger, you posted a picture asking for critique, and thats what we gave.
                      Please accept forum members critique in future with respect, everybody has an opinion.
                      If you do not want critique then post in another section.
                      With all this said I think the original shot is great.
                      Ash.

Comment

Hi Ash,

Well, you really do get your knickers in a twist don't you! It's a good job I like an argument.
                        I made it quite clear that I accepted the criticism in a previous post -

quote:
                        Oh dear!! I am afraid that you completely misunderstood me.
                        I was not disappointed in Ash, I was disappointed that I had not got across what I was trying to produce,
                        a very low key b & w with just a small point of interest, and that the critiques were quite justified.
                        We all see things differently, like some things and hate others!
                        End quote.

I post for criticism on several sites, and when I post on DP Now it is usually a picture that I have experimented with rather than a finished shot.
                        I have found in the past on this site, mainly on the pictures that others have posted for a critique, that some of the criticisms seem to be
                        rather a reflex reaction to an "I don't like that picture' feeling on the part of the viewer rather than a considered weighing up of
                        all the picture's qualities and limitations. On the other hand, most of the remarks are well thought through, and helpful

No 'Stuff you' involved Ash, but it quite amuses me to be instructed on my behaviour by a young man who's English appears to be slightly
                        less than perfect. The word to use in English is 'criticism'; if you like to use 'critique', which is a French word, it should be 'a critique' or 'critiques',
                        and a little punctuation would be nice!

Now can we get back to looking at photographs?

Roger

Comment

gotta be honest rog, your first reply to ash suggested that you were disappointed in ash / his reply. in the absence of any accompanying text to the initial post, the (your) point wasn't self-evident.

i'd guessed that from the initial post and the text that did accompany it that the reflection of yourself was a by product noticed after the shot had been taken rather than the reason for the photo. so, guess i missed the reason for the image as well, although i did see your reflection.

have only looked at this on my notoriously contrasty work monitor however i'd go along with the other comments that the intended subject - the reflection of yourself - is too dark to by properly appreciated.
                          Dave
                          http://www.devilgas.com

Comment

You're right Dave. I suppose I must think faster than I type!

Roger

Comment

Working...
                            X