X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18th Century Coridor

http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk

Re: 18th Century Coridor

I like the effect - nice use of toned mono. Doesn't quite follow the rule of thirds - I wonder what others feel about that?

Out of interest, where is this?

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Dunham Massey Cheshire.

Comment

Very nice, I like it !

Ian I think the rule of thirds goes out of the window with a image like this that is about perspective and leading lines.
        Regards Paul.
        One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by OlyPaul View Post
          Very nice, I like it !

Ian I think the rule of thirds goes out of the window with a image like this that is about perspective and leading lines.
          That's fine - I was interested in how people's views would pan out. I suspected that there might be a divergence of views.

Ian
          Founder/editor

Comment

I usually stick to the rule of thirds, but I like this one, a lot, and hadn't noticed that it didn't adhere to the rule of thirds. I think the perspective is terrific and everything so in focus right to the very end.

I also like the sepia colouring.
            Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Hi Audrey, glad you like it, it trouble's me somewhat when people go on about the rule of third's like its the law or something, Im not having a go at you or any other photographer that think its really important, Im more cross with the way its portraid to new photographers like its 'the must' and 'you will not do anything else other than', to me its mearly a guide and thats all it should be, yes most of the time it looks better, but why should you have something dictating how you wan't your image to look.
              Ash.

Comment

Yes, I agree with you. Here is one I took that has a similar look (not got the depth to it that yours has) but I still like it. I never gave thirds a thought when I took it.

Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

Originally posted by ash View Post
                  ... it trouble's me somewhat when people go on about the rule of third's like its the law or something, Im not having a go at you or any other photographer that think its really important, Im more cross with the way its portraid to new photographers like its 'the must' and 'you will not do anything else other than', to me its mearly a guide and thats all it should be, yes most of the time it looks better, but why should you have something dictating how you wan't your image to look.
                  Ash.
                  Well said, Ash. I couldn't agree more!

You may recall me mentioning JW several times in the forums. JW (John Washington) is an art lecturer and photographer at a college in the north of England. John once had a photo blog where he was often slated for not correcting the histogram. But he often responded by explaining how he didn't WANT to use the full range - that he'd processed the image to get what HE wanted, to portray a mood, and atmosphere, a colour scale etc. What he said always made sense too as altering the histogram, colours and contrast would've destroyed that mood.

I do likewise with my own pics. I have them processed and printed as I want them to look - NOT how internet critiquers who have 'learned a few rules' tell me they SHOULD look.

And as Kennykodak always says ... it's all about IMPACT. (Well said, kenny).

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by ash View Post
                    Hi Audrey, glad you like it, it trouble's me somewhat when people go on about the rule of third's like its the law or something, Im not having a go at you or any other photographer that think its really important, Im more cross with the way its portraid to new photographers like its 'the must' and 'you will not do anything else other than', to me its mearly a guide and thats all it should be, yes most of the time it looks better, but why should you have something dictating how you wan't your image to look.
                    Ash.
                    I do want to make it clear that I wasn't critiquing your original image. I was just curious to see what the response would be

Ian
                    Founder/editor

Comment

Working...
                    X