Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic Lumix LX2 Discussion Group (OK, Leica D-LUX 3 too)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Panasonic Lumix LX2 Discussion Group (OK, Leica D-LUX 3 too)

    I would like to start a discussion group among Panasonic LX2 users. Most reviews of this little camera stress the excessive noise suppression problem while neglecting to point out that it is not a problem when shooting in the RAW format.

    There are a number of issues to discuss, including the petition circulating on the web asking Panasonic for a firmware upgrade to resolve the noise suppression problem. Is it possible to shoot RAW without getting jpegs as well? What problems and successes have you had with the LX2? How do you like using the 16:9 aspect ratio? What improvements would you like to see in an LX3?

    In June 2007, after hesitating for almost a year, I bought an LX2. Without going into a sales pitch (which I would be happy to do at a moment's notice), let me just say that it fits my hand - and my eye - like it was made for them. My wife says I'm like a kid with a new bike.

    To get things going I invite everyone to visit a new gallery on my SmugMug web page, "Taking The Long View: A Panasonic LX2 Portfolio." (Go to <http://rpkphoto.smugmug.com> and click on the LX2 gallery title).

    This portfolio, which I continually update, is a measure of my satisfaction with this little camera. I hope you find it stimulating.

    Rodger Kingston

  • #2
    Re: Panasonic Lumix LX2 Discussion Group (OK, Leica D-LUX 3 too)

    Originally posted by rpkphoto View Post
    I would like to start a discussion group among Panasonic LX2 users. Most reviews of this little camera stress the excessive noise suppression problem while neglecting to point out that it is not a problem when shooting in the RAW format.

    There are a number of issues to discuss, including the petition circulating on the web asking Panasonic for a firmware upgrade to resolve the noise suppression problem. Is it possible to shoot RAW without getting jpegs as well? What problems and successes have you had with the LX2? How do you like using the 16:9 aspect ratio? What improvements would you like to see in an LX3?

    In June 2007, after hesitating for almost a year, I bought an LX2. Without going into a sales pitch (which I would be happy to do at a moment's notice), let me just say that it fits my hand - and my eye - like it was made for them. My wife says I'm like a kid with a new bike.

    To get things going I invite everyone to visit a new gallery on my SmugMug web page, "Taking The Long View: A Panasonic LX2 Portfolio." (Go to <http://rpkphoto.smugmug.com> and click on the LX2 gallery title).

    This portfolio, which I continually update, is a measure of my satisfaction with this little camera. I hope you find it stimulating.

    Rodger Kingston
    Hi Rodger,

    The LX2 is a great little camera in my view - it has an excellent lens, it's designed with photographers rather than snapshooters in mind, so it has all the manual and auto functions you could want, plus RAW mode; all in a very pocketable form factor.

    OK, so images can be noisy at mid to high ISO, but as you rightly point out, RAW format flexibility lets you dial out noise as you prefer. There will always be a resolution/noise trade off and with RAW you get to choose the balance.

    My main issue with the camera is that it has a removable (and easily misplaced) lens cap instead of an integrated lens cover.

    Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Panasonic Lumix LX2 Discussion Group (OK, Leica D-LUX 3 too)

      I am having Fuji F31fd and recently bought LX2, the reason I bought this LX2 because of 28mm, 16:9 ratio aspect, Range finder like .

      After I have used LX2 for 1 week, I have identified some Pros and Cons for both cameras.

      F31fd's Pros:
      1. Excellent high ISO quality. Used until ISO1600 also no problem.
      2. Fast Operation.
      3. Vibrant color.
      4. Face detection.
      5. Fast auto focus.
      6. Clearer LCD - 230,000 pixels
      7. Easier to find pouch for storage F31fd because the lens is in the body when power off.

      F31fd's Cons:
      1. No 28mm wide angle.
      2. No Image Stabilizer.

      LX2's Pros:
      1. 28mm wide angle.
      2. The photo more perspective with 16:9 ratio aspect.
      3. Full manual control, similar to DSLR.
      4. AE/A Lock.
      5. 9 auto focus points - allow selective focus as well.
      6. Auto-Bracketing - 3 photos from -2 to +2.
      7. Allow capture in RAW format.
      8. Flash power compensation.
      9. Mega OIS works like a charm. ISO200 is enough to take in door shot without flash.
      10. Histrogram
      11. Highlight feature to tell you the photo is over exposed.
      12. Solid built, and beautiful like Range Finder.

      LX2's Cons:
      1. Poor image quality at ISO400 and above. Try to use ISO400 or below.
      2. No face detection.
      3. Slow auto focus.
      4. Due to the lens barrel, quite difficult to find pouch for LX2.
      5. RAW file size too huge, about 20MB each.
      6. You can't choose not to take JPG while shooting RAW. (RAW+JPG)

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Panasonic Lumix LX2 Discussion Group (OK, Leica D-LUX 3 too)

        One problem with the Lumix LX2 is finding a good fitting camera case. The protruding lens barrel makes finding a case that fits well difficult. Many cases I've looked at have too much space or fit too tightly.

        Personally, I have settled, for now, on a Tamrac case, model #5292. The LX2 fits in nicely with enough padding for protection. It has a shoulder strap and a large belt loop. It also has a small front zippered pocket to carry extra items and a flap over the top to protect from the weather.

        My only complaint about this is, that overall, it is rather bulky. It would be a good travel case but is too bulky to fit into a pocket.

        I'd like to hear what cases others are using that seem to work. or what cases you have used that is not quite right for the LX2.

        Thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Panasonic Lumix LX2 Discussion Group (OK, Leica D-LUX 3 too)

          Originally posted by greg-er View Post
          I'd like to hear what cases others are using that seem to work. or what cases you have used that is not quite right for the LX2.
          I am using the Original Nikon Lens soft Pouch

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Panasonic Lumix LX2 Discussion Group (OK, Leica D-LUX 3 too)

            Originally posted by Ian View Post
            Hi Rodger,

            The LX2 is a great little camera in my view - it has an excellent lens, it's designed with photographers rather than snapshooters in mind, so it has all the manual and auto functions you could want, plus RAW mode; all in a very pocketable form factor.

            OK, so images can be noisy at mid to high ISO, but as you rightly point out, RAW format flexibility lets you dial out noise as you prefer. There will always be a resolution/noise trade off and with RAW you get to choose the balance.

            My main issue with the camera is that it has a removable (and easily misplaced) lens cap instead of an integrated lens cover.

            Ian
            There's a slit on the lower right side of the lens cap (right below the release mechanism). My LX2 came with or I found - can't remember - a 4 inch loop of thin cord. I hitched one end to the strap lug on the right side of the body and other end to the cap slit. I still have the original cap several thousand shots later.

            My problem with the LX2 is its non fully retractable into the body lens which makes it a bit awkward in my pocket. But overall, a really really nice camera. BTW I rarely shoot at other than ISO 100.

            Steve

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Panasonic Lumix LX2 Discussion Group (OK, Leica D-LUX 3 too)

              I just stick it in my pocket, the one the keys and pocketknife are not in.

              Its proven a very tough little camera. Actually I consider cameras this size as expendable (i know), and I'm sure the card will survive. I love that it will use most SDHC cards and I shoot mostly at 16:9,

              Con: the focus switch on the side of the lens> I have to remember to keep looking at it.

              Steve

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Panasonic Lumix LX2 Discussion Group (OK, Leica D-LUX 3 too)

                Hello Rodger

                I saw your discussion forum about the LX2 and saw your very nice photos taken with the LX2. I bought an LX2 last summer 2007 and frankly I've never really gotten the hang of it. The problem is the light sensitivity. I'm constantly getting over exposed images and initally too saturated colours even though I've reset the factory setting for white light and sensitivity is set to nomal. I'm just not able to point to a subject normally lit and shoot without the 50% risk of over exposure, even though on the LCD it looks good, I constantly have to turn down the exposure to an amount I can only guess at. I've had to use the the "candlelight" setting to get more or realistic colours in indoor bright summer conditions! So I find myself with the camera I always really wanted but having to use it like a much cheaper camera often in scene mode. Have you heard of others having similar problems?

                Liam

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Panasonic Lumix LX2 Discussion Group (OK, Leica D-LUX 3 too)

                  Hi Liam, I just bought LX2..and I have the same situation like you. I was wondering if any of you could please share the right setting for taking in-door picture in AE or Manual mode. If I used the camera in bright day light...I'm totally satisfied with the result. But for indoor shoot, I just can't find the right setting to get an amazing result. It always somehow overexposed..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Panasonic Lumix LX2 Discussion Group (OK, Leica D-LUX 3 too)

                    Originally posted by Alda View Post
                    Hi Liam, I just bought LX2..and I have the same situation like you. I was wondering if any of you could please share the right setting for taking in-door picture in AE or Manual mode. If I used the camera in bright day light...I'm totally satisfied with the result. But for indoor shoot, I just can't find the right setting to get an amazing result. It always somehow overexposed..
                    Hi Alda, welcome to DPNow.

                    As i use my LX2 mostly outdoors, I'm afraid I'm maybe not a right person to say something about indoor phototaking but anyway let me try.

                    Firstly I have to say that there is no almighty combination of setting of variables such as aperture value, shutter speed, ISO, WB or exposure measuring mode that can be used under all circumstances, IMHO. What's necessary or important to do is to accumulate experiences on trial and error basis, while hopefully you are enjoying the processes.

                    Having said that, one way to avoid/reduce overexposure would be;

                    1) to use spot exposure measuring
                    2) always to pay attention to find the highest light part of the frame and measure the exposure of that portion.
                    3) then use AE lock button to keep the measured values and re-compose your camera as you want.

                    As a camera's AE program, be it AV priority, Shutter speed priority or Program mode, will try to make that highlight area a bit greyish, you might be able to lessen the possible overexposure by simply doing this.

                    4)if the result is not yet satisfactory, then add a exposure compensation to minus side. As LX-2 has no AEB feature, I recommend to make such a compensation manually by 1/3 step for 1 to 2 EV (that is, three to six shots for one scene). Better to use a tripod for this experimental practices.

                    5)Analyze the results (not on the camera's LCD screen but on a larger monitor) and choose the most ideal one. If none, repeat the whole process again with a bit different setting of, say, ISO etc.

                    By repeating the processes for various typical indoor situations, you can accumulate your own know-hows.

                    Maybe I have to add that a spot measuring method is not an easy/quick way, since a necessary exposure compensation value could be different depending on the colour you measure, for example. I think, however, that one good merit of digital cameras is that you can accumulate the expreiences relatively in a shorter period of time compared to film days by analyzing the results immediately. So it's well worth trying, as the knowhows you once acquired would surely help you forever. Trial and Error would be always necessary even in the future, though. But surely with less trial shots, you might be able to get a sort of "amazing results".

                    In case you can find yourself enjoying the trial and errors for some time to go, and if you can also enjoy to know more about your new camera to get more control of it at your own will, then half done.
                    yoshi

                    P.S. An easier way would be try to avoid bright spots such as mirrors, brightly lit walls, lamps etc. For example, do not place a person in front of window. - this would be however less challenging and less interesting, as your LX2 can do more, when properly used.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Panasonic Lumix LX2 Discussion Group (OK, Leica D-LUX 3 too)

                      For simplicity's sake, please ignore the P.S., as it relates to under exposure issue.
                      yoshi

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Panasonic Lumix LX2 Discussion Group (OK, Leica D-LUX 3 too)

                        Hi Alda

                        Sorry but I had my LX2 stolen in Rome last summer, now I have to get a new camera. For indoor I found the camera quite good. Maybe there are differences between cameras. I don't agree with Yoshi, yes you can do what he says if you want to get it exactly right. But for a normal point and shoot not ever the scene modes were giving me satisfactory results outdoors.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X