Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iMac

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: iMac

    Patrick,
    it's a Coke vs, Pepsi thing. simply a matter of taste.
    to rag on Vista is pay back for twenty years of hearing that Apple will go out of business next week.
    it's the image that counts, not the hardware.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: iMac

      continuing "in the spirit of good fun"

      http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/...ortune/11.html

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: iMac

        macs have much less problems with viruses.

        Internet Explorer

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: iMac

          Macs have much less problems with viruses - well, I am still not convinced that Macs are immune from viruses. I know most Mac users don't run anti-virus software. I do feel one day there will be a massacre on a global scale.

          Anyway, as a Windows user, I don't have virus problems either.

          In defence of Vista, it fixed a lot of things that were out of date with XP, and for that reason alone it was a worthwhile upgrade, but I do feel that the criticism of Vista, that Windows 7 is what Vista should have been, has some validity. But I had no regrets at all upgrading to Vista from XP. Windows 7 is just a lot better still.

          I know people who have switched from Windows to Mac successfully and those who have not. It's very much a personal thing.

          Mac OS 10 is a whole lot better than the old predecessor. That was truly an out-dated OS in many ways, but with a flashy front end.

          There is nothing I feel a Mac can do better for me than Windows 7 and I feel more comfortable with the freedom that Windows allows. I cannot get away from the impression that as Mac user I would, fundamentally, be under the control of the whims of Apple. And I have no interest in learning a new OS all over again.

          But I do champion the Mac cause, because without a string competitor, the evolution of Windows would be stunted.

          Ian
          Founder/editor
          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: iMac

            i like the Intel processors that mac got from pc's. i'm running a quad core G5 and a macbook pro with those things and they rock.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: iMac

              Originally posted by Ian View Post

              I cannot get away from the impression that as Mac user I would, fundamentally, be under the control of the whims of Apple.

              Ian
              as opposed to Microsoft?

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: iMac

                Originally posted by kennykodak View Post
                as opposed to Microsoft?
                I certainly don't feel like that at all with Microsoft. They have to work in partnership with lots of different hardware companies all designing great PC variants. That's why, for example, I have a convertible laptop/tablet PC. You simply can't buy anything like that from Apple.

                The Mac OS could run on my laptop, but Apple won't let you...

                Ian
                Founder/editor
                Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: iMac

                  i can run windows if i wanted to. most of my work is done on Adobe products so it really doesn't much anyway. i teach photoshop at the university in the evenings and my classroom is all Dell. i get turn around a little for a couple of keys but other than that, it's all the same.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: iMac

                    Originally posted by kennykodak View Post
                    i can run windows if i wanted to. most of my work is done on Adobe products so it really doesn't much anyway. i teach photoshop at the university in the evenings and my classroom is all Dell. i get turn around a little for a couple of keys but other than that, it's all the same.
                    I do have reservations about the virus situation with Macs, they say they are immune, but as Ian says, one day?
                    I read that in Snow Leopard that there is some virus protection, how it work I don't know. I have also seen for sale Norton Anti-Virus for Macs so there must be something out there to protect against.
                    Is it the flashy end of Macs OS that is so very appealing, is it so much more efficient than Windows? Snow Leopard certainly takes up much less space than Windows 7.

                    I still have this yearning for a iMac, the new screens are just amazing. I have not given up on the idea, and will win the wife round in the end.

                    Patrick

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: iMac

                      i am running snow leopard. it's amazing. if i visited you and plugged your printer into my laptop, it would automatically on connection go online, download and install the correct driver for your printer.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: iMac

                        I am another happy Mac user. I have used many Apple Computers over the years as well as Acorn/BBC and Windows. Sometimes I was responsible for supporting users of those machines. Without exception Apple Macs were easier to deal with and required much less support, although there have been some problematic upgrades, but not to my knowledge in the current century!

                        Now retired I am happy to continue to use Macs.

                        I visited a friend the other day with my laptop and I wanted to print out a document for him. I noticed his printer was wireless so I asked him if I could print out from it. His response was "if you can. I haven't been able to get the wireless option to work". I fired up the mac, the printer was shown as available and I printed out a couple of A4 pages in colour. He was suitable impressed!

                        Regarding viruses, of course there are Mac viruses. I have experienced them over the years, I remember problems with Macros loaded from Word documents as well as a few Trojans, etc over the years. Current Macs have pretty efficient firewalls, but users should be aware and be careful about what they download and run from the Internet, and it is good practice to run some sort of virus protection, particularly downloaded files ought to be run through a virus checker. Of course, many Mac Users are not gamers and I believe (though I have no evidence to support this) that a lot of viruses are spread through gaming sites.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: iMac

                          Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                          I am another happy Mac user. I have used many Apple Computers over the years as well as Acorn/BBC and Windows. Sometimes I was responsible for supporting users of those machines. Without exception Apple Macs were easier to deal with and required much less support, although there have been some problematic upgrades, but not to my knowledge in the current century!

                          Now retired I am happy to continue to use Macs.

                          I visited a friend the other day with my laptop and I wanted to print out a document for him. I noticed his printer was wireless so I asked him if I could print out from it. His response was "if you can. I haven't been able to get the wireless option to work". I fired up the mac, the printer was shown as available and I printed out a couple of A4 pages in colour. He was suitable impressed!

                          Regarding viruses, of course there are Mac viruses. I have experienced them over the years, I remember problems with Macros loaded from Word documents as well as a few Trojans, etc over the years. Current Macs have pretty efficient firewalls, but users should be aware and be careful about what they download and run from the Internet, and it is good practice to run some sort of virus protection, particularly downloaded files ought to be run through a virus checker. Of course, many Mac Users are not gamers and I believe (though I have no evidence to support this) that a lot of viruses are spread through gaming sites.
                          Thank you Kurt for this reply, you are the first Mac user I have communicated with to accept the fact there are indeed Viruses & Trojans that can attack a Mac. They are less numerous and rare I have no doubt.
                          I understand they are more difficult to write for Mac than for Windows, the fact there are less about perhaps supports this thinking.

                          Just like a PC sensible precautions are necessary.

                          Patrick

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: iMac

                            Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                            I have this craving to buy a iMac. In fact I have lusted after one for some time now, despite reservations on price v specification. iMacs always appear expensive compared with PC.
                            All Mac users I talk too praise their machines over PC but none can give a definitive reason, their reply always seems emotional rather than practical.
                            There is of course the disillusionment many have with PC & Windows, but the praise of Macs appears to me to go deeper than that.
                            I am trying before risking domestic harmony by buying a iMac (my wife has threatened to change the locks if I buy one) to understand the love for Macs over PC.

                            Patrick
                            Hi All

                            I have done it and ordered an iMac, the 21.5 model from the refurbished Apple Store Site. full 12 months warranty plus if I wish and pay the extra, a three year extended warranty.

                            Should arrive early in the week.

                            Patrick

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: iMac

                              Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                              Hi All

                              I have done it and ordered an iMac, the 21.5 model from the refurbished Apple Store Site. full 12 months warranty plus if I wish and pay the extra, a three year extended warranty.

                              Should arrive early in the week.

                              Patrick
                              Patrick, have you arranged alternative lodging yet?

                              Ian
                              Founder/editor
                              Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                              Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: iMac

                                Originally posted by Ian View Post
                                Patrick, have you arranged alternative lodging yet?

                                Ian
                                So fare so good, I think

                                Patrick

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X