Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lack of action continues

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
    I agree Pol the idea was for DPNow and it should be developed here, and I believe Stephen to be the man for the job that is if he wants it and Ian if will allow him to get on with it solo, or with his own selected team.

I have only looked in once on the 4/3 site, it looked clean and well presented, the third site I don't know the address, what its called or about.

Patrick
    www.write.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by lumix View Post
      www.write.co.uk
      I don't think thats the one Ron. You may have to dig a little deeper to get the new forum site, though its aimed squarely at the Olympus UK E series user, so no conflict there
      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Hello all .

I had an issue a few months ago which has now been resolved. I truly believe Ian felt quite bad abut it But if it weren't for Pol and Steven I would have simply left the site I truly believe that Ian simply must give out some of these jobs to admin. and let them help with the site. I feel as if I have grown so much because of this site.I am quickly approaching my one year anniversary with DP Now. What Scares me most is that I will not see year two. I do not think that will happen but that is where the nasty "what if's" start to enter my head- "what if Ian decides to close down this site, what if it just keeps going down down down ?" etc. you get the idea. I love this site and actually have adopted a few of its members as my own personal mentors (Im Kinda Funny Arent I?) I will continue to contribute but lately I myself have been in a lull. I just simply haven't been taking pictures. I hope Ian doesn't take any of this as a personal attack. I am sure we all agree he is a great Man capable of many great things, just not too many!!

Comment

Originally posted by cowcrzy06 View Post
          Hello all .

I had an issue a few months ago which has now been resolved. I truly believe Ian felt quite bad abut it But if it weren't for Pol and Steven I would have simply left the site I truly believe that Ian simply must give out some of these jobs to admin. and let them help with the site. I feel as if I have grown so much because of this site.I am quickly approaching my one year anniversary with DP Now. What Scares me most is that I will not see year two. I do not think that will happen but that is where the nasty "what if's" start to enter my head- "what if Ian decides to close down this site, what if it just keeps going down down down ?" etc. you get the idea. I love this site and actually have adopted a few of its members as my own personal mentors (Im Kinda Funny Arent I?) I will continue to contribute but lately I myself have been in a lull. I just simply haven't been taking pictures. I hope Ian doesn't take any of this as a personal attack. I am sure we all agree he is a great Man capable of many great things, just not too many!!
          Please - no sombre speculations! DPNow is the crown of the Ian Burley empire - it's not going to close down while I have a say in it! And it's not for sale if that's the next question.

I know that one's sternest critics are often the ones that care the most, but please try to relax. The hard work in launching our third site (a job for Olympus UK) is done so I can refocus on DPNow and there are lots of things about to pop out of the DPNow pipeline.

Ian
          Founder/editor
          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
            Please - no sombre speculations! DPNow is the crown of the Ian Burley empire - it's not going to close down while I have a say in it! And it's not for sale if that's the next question.

I know that one's sternest critics are often the ones that care the most, but please try to relax. The hard work in launching our third site (a job for Olympus UK) is done so I can refocus on DPNow and there are lots of things about to pop out of the DPNow pipeline.

Ian
            The way I see it is that those that don't care about the site will and have walked away. Those of us that do care will keep nagging you to do better. Remember the saying. " A promise is not a promise until it is delivered." Problem is there are a lot of promises still in transit. That's what is causing the agitation.

Comment

The way I see it is that those that don't care about the site will and have walked away. Those of us that do care will keep nagging you to do better.

Ron,
              Well said! Very well said! I couldn't agree with you more. What shames me most was that I almost Did walk away.I am so glad I didn't!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                I don't think thats the one Ron. You may have to dig a little deeper to get the new forum site, though its aimed squarely at the Olympus UK E series user, so no conflict there
                Well if it's the site that's being talked about on the web. www.four-thirds.com why dose the link not work.

Comment

Well if it's the site that's being talked about on the web. www.four-thirds.com why dose the link not work.
                  Cuz that's not the right one. You ain't been digging properly.

Keep digging and I'm sure you'll get there eventually.

Here's a clue .... try searching for an e-group.

Pol

Comment

Well ya aint getting rid of me and that's a fact. I remember to well the help and confidence building comments that I received from Stephen and Pol in a not to distant past and I'm not letting them out of my sight cus they still do it
                    -------------------------

Comment

There are a lot of good friendly and supportive people that gave encouragement who have left and no longer input to DPNOW. Since converting from film to digital, I for one have been helped and encouraged a great deal by many of the former members,and also some of the current members. It was a very steep learning curve. It is also noticeable that some choose not to be in communication with all members. I also wonder if The personal message system is open to access by all admin staff? when personal messages should only be accessable by those who are communicating.
                      Catch Ya Later
                      Tinka

Comment

Originally posted by Tinka View Post
                        ..... I also wonder if The personal message system is open to access by all admin staff? when personal messages should only be accessable by those who are communicating.
                        Are you asking if moderators or administrators can access and read private messages (PMs) that are, or have been, exchanged between members?

If so, I can assure you that we can't. If you send a PM to another member, the only person who can read it you yourself (the sender) and the intended recipient. A private message is just that .. private. Completely private.

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Tinka View Post
                          There are a lot of good friendly and supportive people that gave encouragement who have left and no longer input to DPNOW. Since converting from film to digital, I for one have been helped and encouraged a great deal by many of the former members,and also some of the current members. It was a very steep learning curve. It is also noticeable that some choose not to be in communication with all members. I also wonder if The personal message system is open to access by all admin staff? when personal messages should only be accessable by those who are communicating.
                          I can categorically assure you that there is no access to private email on the forum apart from the account holder.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but it's really quite normal for people to come and go on discussion forums. I'm signed up to dozens, covering all sorts of subject areas and most are very good, but I simply don't have the time to frequent them all regularly.

Naturally, we all want our fave members to hang in there, but some simply can't because of other commitments.

What's needed here is to attract new members who can contribute in a fresh and interesting way.

Ian
                          Founder/editor
                          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Ian ,

A thought Occurred to me as I was reading your statement. I wondered if you could go back and see if there was a new feature or even a hot thread that gave a significant spike in sign ups to DP Now. Also there must be a way to entice some of the older members back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                              I can categorically assure you that there is no access to private email on the forum apart from the account holder.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but it's really quite normal for people to come and go on discussion forums. I'm signed up to dozens, covering all sorts of subject areas and most are very good, but I simply don't have the time to frequent them all regularly.

Naturally, we all want our fave members to hang in there, but some simply can't because of other commitments.

What's needed here is to attract new members who can contribute in a fresh and interesting way.

Ian
                              Personally I would feel it's more important to hang on to existing members. There are a lot of us quite willing to spread the word when there are good things to say. This site needs a good regular foundation of members. Attracting new members to replace old members is not the way forward IMHO. Some answers to questions like:- Who won the Slogan competition, Who won the MyPlace competition, Who are the monthly newsletter winners etc. etc. Why is this info so hard to get hold of. The competitions are run but the results are never published. Ok rant over. PS I often get emails from other sites that say "Haven't seen you around lately." Perhaps emailing some of our past members would get them to look back in.

Comment

Personally I would feel it's more important to hang on to existing members. There are a lot of us quite willing to spread the word when there are good things to say. This site needs a good regular foundation of members. Attracting new members to replace old members is not the way forward IMHO. Some answers to questions like:- Who won the Slogan competition, Who won the MyPlace competition, Who are the monthly newsletter winners etc. etc. Why is this info so hard to get hold of. The competitions are run but the results are never published. Ok rant over. PS I often get emails from other sites that say "Haven't seen you around lately." Perhaps emailing some of our past members would get them to look back in.

We see eye to eye on this Ron, I cant help thinking Ian has not fully understood what we are saying. He announced yesterday some functional improvements which is fine, but not addressed any of our grumbles or stated any intention to sort them out.
                                Picture of the day still sits there, one month old.
                                No attempt to post the competition winners.
                                The golden Gallery is still empty.

Continually adding new things but continuing to neglect the old issues will not
                                solve the problem.

I care about the site and want to see it grow and retain members and sign up new members. I accept Ian's comment that there is always some that join in for a time and move on to pastures new, that is inevitable but we must hold on to a higher proportion to show that growth.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
                                X