X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• patmoore
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Was there a particular reason for covering the bridges?

Ian
    Most were built between 1825 and 1875. They were designed to keep snow off the bridges preventing decay and rot. There are exactly 100 covered bridges in our state of Vermont.

Leave a comment:

• Garry
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Fascinating - is this the place famous for its bridges (Clint Eastwood movie a while back?).

Ian
    I did wonder the same, as I have seen films with a very similar looking bridge. Like the HDR process.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied
    Thanks for the clarification Was there a particular reason for covering the bridges?

Ian

Leave a comment:

• patmoore
    replied
    And one Penny took a while ago. Spanning the Connecticut River, I thnk it's the longest covered bridge in the world.

Click image for larger version

Name:	covered bridge cropped.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	551.7 KB
ID:	152912

Leave a comment:

• patmoore
    replied
    The Bridges of Madison County movie took place in Iowa. Vermont has many covered bridges. Here's another iPhone shot of one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	covered bridge 2.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	152910

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied
    Fascinating - is this the place famous for its bridges (Clint Eastwood movie a while back?).

Ian

Leave a comment:

• patmoore
    replied
    Haven't posted any shots processed by Google's Snapseed in a while. We took the grandkids to Queehee, Vermont and I got this shot using both the HDR Scape and Drama filters. The horizon isn't titlted. The bridge itself isn't level.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7635.jpg Views:	0 Size:	324.8 KB ID:	152907

Leave a comment:

• Garry
    replied
    Re: DSLR vs. iPhone

Originally posted by selenajain View Post
    At first glance, I think that your 2 pictures are about with post processing and without post processing. Obviously, your 2nd picture looks like edited picture. But first picture seems to me very decent quality. I think, we can use either camera lens or smartphone according to their perspective. While it’s true that it is often desirable to deliver the maximum amount of visual information to your audience, this is not always the case. There are times when a crushed and burnt out shadow or a super-bright highlight are just what you need to bring a photograph home.
    Selenajain. Were you referring to the two photos of Patmore, or the two photos of, Caz ?

Leave a comment:

• selenajain
    replied

At first glance, I think that your 2 pictures are about with post processing and without post processing. Obviously, your 2nd picture looks like edited picture. But first picture seems to me very decent quality. I think, we can use either camera lens or smartphone according to their perspective. While it’s true that it is often desirable to deliver the maximum amount of visual information to your audience, this is not always the case. There are times when a crushed and burnt out shadow or a super-bright highlight are just what you need to bring a photograph home.

Leave a comment:

• Garry
    replied

Very impressed with the Google Pixel 3a phone and edited in Snapseed.
    Almost HDR Snapseed Perspective tool has worked well on the converging walls.

Leave a comment:

• Caz
    replied

2019-08-10_211046-01 by Carol, on Flickr

The second image is taken with my Canon EOS-R with a 24-70 f2.8 - without losing the top of the building, I'm unable to correct the verticals much. It's also a slightly wider view - I wanted to include the statue of Josef Layon on both images.

2019-08-10_web-8736 by Carol, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Caz
    replied

An interesting comparison - I've tried something similar on a recent holiday to France. I haven't edited the camera shot yet, so will post when I have. This time I didn't take a DSLR with me, all photos this holiday were on either the Google Pixel 3a or my Canon EOS-R. Only took 2 lenses with me, too - a 50mm f1.4 and the mk 1 24-70 f2.8. Didn't miss the distance too much - apart from when I was sitting on a second floor windowsill and trying to capture fast moving swallows in their nests one floor above my head!

Leave a comment:

• Garry
    replied

Still very similar in quality.
    But it does look like the Canon image comes out slightly on top.
    Well that's how it looks on my screen !

Leave a comment:

• patmoore
    replied

I tried to upload them to the gallery but, at 6 mb+, the iphone photo was too large so I lowered the resolution. Here are the full sized shots, starting with the Canon 200D

Leave a comment:

• Garry
    replied

Hi Pat.

Very difficult to guess which is which, as they are very similar in picture quality.

I am guessing that if both originals were enlarged, we would probably see the difference, and that the Canon photo would be better.

Both photos look in focus and good colour.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X