• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pol
    replied
    Re: Adobe CS4 discovery BLOG

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
    OK it worked loaded 6 RAW images in 35 seconds (Can't complain about the speed) in Photoshop CS4.
    I have also some how, not sure how, got rid of the presets and got conventional layers

Perhaps as I find my way about I will warm to it, mustn't get paranoid.

Patrick
    Glad to hear you're gradually getting sorted. I'm hoping I'm gonna get around to liking it better too.

I've just spent the past couple of hours doing a B/W conversion with Image/Adjustment/BW rather than my usual CS3 method of conventional layers of levels and channel mixer etc. Then I added other layers by various methods and ended up with a picci that pleased me so I've just sent it off to Photobox for a 10x8 for my son.

It was a crop from a RAW snap of him that I'd played with as I was trying out the post crop vignette in ACR etc. So I've had a more successful evening, even though I can't quite remember all the details of the steps I took on the way.

Stephen - thanks for that Ctrl+R shortcut. I didn't know that one and you're right - it's a good one. Much easier and faster!

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Patrick
    replied

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly that CS4 isn't anywhere near as intuitive as CS3. No doubt about that!

I've had no problems opening several files at once using the usual method, by holding down ctrl+ shift, as I selected the images I wanted to open.

The tabs of the files are automatically placed in a line along the top of PS4, which is an arrangement I don't especially like. So I go to the 'arrange documents icon (top toolbar of PS) and usually select another arrangent (my preference is often for 'floating windows' - to get the normal view of images piled one on top of the other.

You can also simply drag the file tab from the line along the top then it into the main body of the PS interface. That turns it into a floating window

It took me a day or two to suss those things - another annoyance I finally sussed it.

Hope that helps.

Pol
    OK it worked loaded 6 RAW images in 35 seconds (Can't complain about the speed) in Photoshop CS4.
    I have also some how, not sure how, got rid of the presets and got conventional layers

Perhaps as I find my way about I will warm to it, mustn't get paranoid.

Patrick

Leave a comment:

• Patrick
    replied

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    Even easier is CTRL R or Command R on the Mac, which will open ACR as you say with all selected files down the left
    OK Pol & Stephen will give these methods a try.

I have un-installed from the Laptop and am returning it to CS3, but will keep it on the PC for now, that appears to have the graphic excelorator that which helps it run smoother. The Laptop is just too jerky.

Patrick

Leave a comment:

• Patrick
    replied

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Do you mean RAW or JPEGs? I can certainly open multiple selected JPEG file from Bridge into PS CS4 Just done it.

Ian
    Hi Ian

Raw never use JPG's

Patrick

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied

It can also be done with the RAW files. Same method of using Ctrl+Alt then a double click will open the selected files in ACR with the usual column of thumbnails on the left.

Pol
    Even easier is CTRL R or Command R on the Mac, which will open ACR as you say with all selected files down the left

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Do you mean RAW or JPEGs? I can certainly open multiple selected JPEG file from Bridge into PS CS4 Just done it.

Ian
    It can also be done with the RAW files. Same method of using Ctrl+Alt then a double click will open the selected files in ACR with the usual column of thumbnails on the left.

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

It would appear unless I'm doing something wrong that its no longer possible to load more than one image from Bridge in one go.
    With CS3 I often selected 10 or even 20 images and they would load one after the other, it dousn't seem to work in CS4. So far I seem to be coming across what were easy options that are now more involved for no good reason.
    Far from being more intuitive CS4 seems to me to be fare and away less so.
    If I find more of this sort of thing I think I might de-register and ask for my money back.
    I don't think I have ever felt so aggrieved about an Adobe product or any software for that matter.

Patrick

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

It would appear unless I'm doing something wrong that its no longer possible to load more than one image from Bridge in one go.
    With CS3 I often selected 10 or even 20 images and they would load one after the other, it dousn't seem to work in CS4. So far I seem to be coming across what were easy options that are now more involved for no good reason.
    If I find more of this sort of thing I think I might de-register and ask for my money back.
    I don't think I have ever felt so aggrieved about an Adobe product or any software for that matter.

Patrick

I agree wholeheartedly that CS4 isn't anywhere near as intuitive as CS3. No doubt about that!

I've had no problems opening several files at once using the usual method, by holding down ctrl+ shift, as I selected the images I wanted to open.

The tabs of the files are automatically placed in a line along the top of PS4, which is an arrangement I don't especially like. So I go to the 'arrange documents icon (top toolbar of PS) and usually select another arrangent (my preference is often for 'floating windows' - to get the normal view of images piled one on top of the other.

You can also simply drag the file tab from the line along the top then it into the main body of the PS interface. That turns it into a floating window

It took me a day or two to suss those things - another annoyance I finally sussed it.

Hope that helps.

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Patrick
    replied

Patrick

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied

Why would I want a Mac? It's not raining here.

You don't have to flatten all the layers in order to use other tools. You can simply hold down the alt key ( or it's equivalent on a Mac) then click on the tiny arrow/triangle on the layers panel and choose 'merge layers (still holding down the alt key).

That creates a new layer above all the previous layers - the new layer including all the pervious layers yet still leaving them available for you to go back to.

I'm not gonna be beaten by CS4 (yet) though I still find it easier to use the adjustment layers in CS3.

Pol
    Alt + Merge Visible did the trick, thanks Pol

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

Thanks for that Pol, I hadn't realised thats the way to do it I had infact worked out that I could create a new background layer which allowed me to use the clone tool etc.

Oh btw the Alt key is there on a Mac too, but there is also a Command key as well
    A new background layer is ok too but the point about merging previous layers, with a top copy, is that the adjustments of those previous layers get included in the new top copy - whereas the backgroud layer is just a copy of the original.

You can do likewise in CS3.

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied

Thanks for that Pol, I hadn't realised thats the way to do it I had infact worked out that I could create a new background layer which allowed me to use the clone tool etc.

Oh btw the Alt key is there on a Mac too, but there is also a Command key as well

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

You don't have to flatten all the layers in order to use other tools. You can simply hold down the alt key ( or it's equivalent on a Mac) then click on the tiny arrow/triangle on the layers panel and choose 'merge layers (still holding down the alt key).

That creates a new layer above all the previous layers - the new layer including all the pervious layers yet still leaving them available for you to go back to.

Pol
    Stephen - here's a copy of a link that includes an example of the method for merging yet retaining previous layers as a new layer is created above. The overall 'topic' of the video isn't important - just watch how the new layer gets created above the retained previous layers.

You may have to log in at lynda to watch it - (even on a Mac )

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

You guys shudduv bought a Mac

I really have had no such issues. Surely its just a case of getting used to a few extra tools. If you don't like the presets don't use em. Don't have a problem with em personally. For me they can just make like a little easier. As for the adjustment layers, my only moan is that you have to flatten the layers in order to use other tools, but then I suppose you always did, but I never used adjustment layers before
    Why would I want a Mac? It's not raining here.

I'm not gonna be beaten by CS4 (yet) though I still find it easier to use the adjustment layers in CS3.

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

Hi Pol

I have managed to get CS4 to show images instead of a black sceen now on the Laptop, but it is still rather slow running.
    My PC & Laptop although not cutting edge are none the less reasonably powerful machines both around 18 months old, both dual processor, the PC with 4 gig of RAM the Laptop with 2 gig of RAM.
    I haven't spent that much time with CS4 it yet, however I did use the slide show facility in Bridge Tuesday night doing a talk, and it was a little creaky half way through.

Patrick
    My PC, which is very new, also very powerful (quad core, NVIDEA geforce 9800GT. 3Gb Ram - all singing and dancing as my eldest son helped me choose it). So there's no problem whatsoever running and using CS4 on there. It just that I don't find CS4 so straightforward to use as CS3.

I'm struggling with the adjustment panel and find myself simply choosing to duplicate a background layer and tweaking adjustments directly onto that - then merging those layers. I know I need to spend more time going through the tutorial videos but I'm getting to the stage where I'm asking myself why the blazes am I bothering when could simply use CS3 and use adjustment layers the simple way. I mean - I wanna be able to click alt/reset if and when I wanna start over with an adjustment.

It's those little things that are beginning to irritate the hell outa me. I suppose I'll just have keep at it and kep cursing until it all falls into place for me (as happened when I upgraded from CS2 to CS3). Maybe I'm just turning into an impatient, grumpy old hag?

I won't be installing CS4 on my laptop, which already has CS3 installed. I usually prefer to keep my spare activation free and available.

Pol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X