Buy CS3 for $299 US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy CS3 for $299 US?

Adobe has offered CS3 for $299 through 9/16. I currently use Elements 5 with ACR for NEF, and ACDSee 9 to manage my file structure used as a library management.

Is it worth it to have a full version of Photoshop? Or is it more trouble than it is worth? And should CS3 even be considered for library management? Organizer in Elements 5 is a PITA!

Recognizing that free advice may sometimes be worth what was paid for it, anyone have any free advice as to whether to buy or not?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Buy CS3 for $299 US?

If I were you Joe, I would spend my $$$$ on Adobe Lightroom not CS3.
    I currently have both and I find that I am using CS3 less and less, mainly for adjustments that Elements 5 could easily handle.
    Lightroom is excellent for library management apart from it's processing tools, which are also excellent.

Just my 2cents,

Roger

Roger

Comment

Adobe ligtroom and elements 5 fit perfectly together use it every day :-)
      PEDER WINGE.
      (Denmark)
      "You dont take a photograph,you make it"

Comment

Originally posted by joefoto View Post
        Adobe has offered CS3 for $299 through 9/16. I currently use Elements 5 with ACR for NEF, and ACDSee 9 to manage my file structure used as a library management.

Is it worth it to have a full version of Photoshop? Or is it more trouble than it is worth? And should CS3 even be considered for library management? Organizer in Elements 5 is a PITA!

Recognizing that free advice may sometimes be worth what was paid for it, anyone have any free advice as to whether to buy or not?

Thanks,

Joe

CS3 is a massive advance on Elements, however it is also a massive program. Whether or not you need it only you can really judge, if you are going to use it simply to process your RAW files and want library management then go for Lightroom. If however you want to work on images and do want I would for the want of a better phrase call advances manipulation, cutting, pasting, perspective control, channels the list is endless then go for CS3. You will probably say some of the things I have listed are in Elements, do you use them, if not leave Photoshop alone. Why not try the 30day free trail that can be download from the Adobe site before buying.
        It does seem remarkably cheap to me, is this the full version or an upgrade?
        If its an upgrade its doubtful it will upgrade from Elements, I think if its a genuine copy at this price it will only upgrade from version 7 of Photoshop upwards. To upgrade from Elements is much more expensive.

Patrick

Comment

Where did you find that price Joe? I have been trolling the Adobe sites and $299 is not shown anywhere for CS3.
          From Elements, or the older Photoshops, an upgrade costs $549, and from 7.0, CS, or CS2 it costs $199.
          Do you have a link?

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by joefoto View Post

Thanks,

Joe
            Photoshop CS3 has some very powerful imaged editing features - lens correction, vanishing point, superb selection tools, plus more advanced layer-based functions. RAW support is more comprehensive too. I'm not a fan of Bridge as an image library management tool, myself, but it could certainly be used as such.

I do think that price is worth it - but it's a personal decision

Ian
            Founder/editor
            Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

http://www.adobe.com/misc/comments.html or call 800-833-6687.

This is an advertising message sent by, or on behalf of, Adobe Systems Incorporated, its affiliates and agents ("Adobe"), 345 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110 USA. If you'd prefer not to receive email like this from Adobe in the future, click here or email Adobe at [email protected]www.adobe.com/misc/privacy.html

Comment

Buy it Joe! If you can't get on with it, you will easily find a buyer at that price

Roger

Comment

Working...
                X