Lightroom problem - Help ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOLVED Lightroom problem - Help ?

I have in the last couple of days done a rather stupid thing - I have re-organised some of my folders of photos on the hard disk to a new structure of folders in an attempt to get them better organised. Now when I open Lightroom some of these folders cannot be found. Does anyone know if it possible to get Lightroom to find them and if so how is it done, or will I have to find them and re-import them all over again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Lightroom problem - Help ?

Hi Dennis, at a guess, I think you will need to create a new catalogue an re-import the changled folders.

This is essentially what I have done and I'm keywording everything as I go along.

But I will do some researcg to find if there is a simpler solution. I'm fairly certain that any edits you have done will not be lost as they are saved as sidecar files in the same folders as the images they relate to. If you have key worded your catalogue, these may also be saved.

Hope to have more for you tomorrow!

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by DennisP View Post
      I have in the last couple of days done a rather stupid thing - I have re-organised some of my folders of photos on the hard disk to a new structure of folders in an attempt to get them better organised. Now when I open Lightroom some of these folders cannot be found. Does anyone know if it possible to get Lightroom to find them and if so how is it done, or will I have to find them and re-import them all over again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Dennis its very easy to get LR to find your folders.
      You will notice that in LR all the previews are still there but you can't do anything with them because LR can't locate the original file which you have moved to a different location. However you will also notice that their is a small film icon on each of the thumbnails. If you click this a dialogue pops up which prompts you to relocate the file. If you browse to the new location of the folder then select the first file in the folder LR finds all the folder contents and re establishes the link. Job done
      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Many thanks Ian and Stephen for your helpful advice. I think that I am now back to being organised thanks mostly to Stephens instructions although I did have to find one or two folders manually. However can any one explain why some of the arrows alongside the folder names in the catalogue list are 'dimmed' out and some are 'white', as in this attachment:-
        Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks Ian and Stephen for your helpful advice. I think that I am now back to being organised thanks mostly to Stephens instructions although I did have to find one or two folders manually. However can any one explain why some of the arrows alongside the folder names in the catalogue list are 'dimmed' out and some are 'white', as in this attachment:-
          Dennis the white arrows indicate there is a sub folder available. If you click on it you should be able to see it.
          Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Hi Stephen - Once again a stupid question, I should have reasoned out the simple answer. I must have been having a 'senior moment' when I submitted that posting. Still at 81 there is a bit of an excuse.!!

Comment

Hi Stephen - Once again a stupid question, I should have reasoned out the simple answer. I must have been having a 'senior moment' when I submitted that posting. Still at 81 there is a bit of an excuse.!!
              Dennis - I wasn't aware of the answer (mainly because that aspect of Lightroom isn't one I use so much) so don't be hard on yourself

Ian
              Founder/editor
              Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Working...
              X