• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick
    replied
    Re: Lightroom 4 Beta

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
    Hi

I have been looking at LR 4. Betta for about a week now and my experience Is quite different to yours. It runs very much faster than LR 3 on my machine.
    Whether this is because I have not imported my entire library I am not sure.

The map feature I suppose has been included because Aperture and perhaps other software now has This feature.
    As to the book modul I can't see the point as Blurb gives similar software free for publishing your books.

The other changes might be easier to use, but are relatively minor.

Patrick
    I have now used LT4 beta extensively this past week, and can confirm on my iMac it runs very much quicker both loading and adjusting images. The controls being very smooth. Perhaps the beta is better tuned to Lion than Win 7, if this be the case it will I am sure be sorted for the retail version.
    Things I have noticed is the heavy use of RAM compared with LT3, there must be some memory leakage somewhere. I have 8 gig of RAM and it uses rather a lot of the available amount, running it quit low at times.
    The other problem I have experienced is opening a file from LT4 into CS4 there is a big shift in the brightness of an image and colour, that does not show when using LT3.

I am engaged at present in a project that is finding the map feature rather useful, so that's a plus.

All things considered with the proviso the memory leakage and colour/ brightness issue is fixed I believe I will upgrade on release of the retail version.

Patrick

Leave a comment:

• Patrick
    replied

Originally posted by mike_j View Post
    Yes, I agree that LR4 is slower. This may partly because I accepted the option to track usage, I may disable this to see whether it has any effect. It has crashed on me twice.

It does look as though the sharpening preset is triggering changes that I made in LR3 so I was wrong in thinking that the preset itself was doing it. Ex camera DNG that hasn't previously been opened in LR3 doesn't show the same effect. It does seem that the colour rendering from DNG conversion is better on LR4 though, at least for my camera, and I like the changes and simplification of exposure/contrast/brightness etc.

I had a quick look at 'Book' but can't see that I will ever use it. 'Map' also seems fairly unnecessary.

Hi

I have been looking at LR 4. Betta for about a week now and my experience Is quite different to yours. It runs very much faster than LR 3 on my machine.
    Whether this is because I have not imported my entire library I am not sure.

The map feature I suppose has been included because Aperture and perhaps other software now has This feature.
    As to the book modul I can't see the point as Blurb gives similar software free for publishing your books.

The other changes might be easier to use, but are relatively minor.

Patrick

Leave a comment:

• mike_j
    replied

Yes, I agree that LR4 is slower. This may partly because I accepted the option to track usage, I may disable this to see whether it has any effect. It has crashed on me twice.

It does look as though the sharpening preset is triggering changes that I made in LR3 so I was wrong in thinking that the preset itself was doing it. Ex camera DNG that hasn't previously been opened in LR3 doesn't show the same effect. It does seem that the colour rendering from DNG conversion is better on LR4 though, at least for my camera, and I like the changes and simplification of exposure/contrast/brightness etc.

I had a quick look at 'Book' but can't see that I will ever use it. 'Map' also seems fairly unnecessary.

Leave a comment:

• rogleale
    replied

Still investigating LR4 and learning my way around it. It is definitely slower than LR3 in response to the sliders, and even more so in changing modules. for example Library to Develop. The slowness is more evident when I am using two monitors and improves when I turn the second monitor off.
    The soft proofing is very well done even if not very intuitive, and produces well matching prints from my machine.
    I am still struggling a little with the book module, mainly in getting a good fit of the image to the chosen page layout, and if I wanted to make a book now I would do it using the Blurb software.
    Just for interest. I call the attached image Mrs OOG because nearly all of the colours in it are out of gamut, either for the monitor or the printer.

Roger

Leave a comment:

• mike_j
    replied

Ian,

You may be onto something there. The file is the original DNG not a Lightroom export so I assumed it was ex-camera but I don't know where or how how Lighroom records its edits and it had, like nearly all my files, been into LR3.n

I will try again with a ' Leica virgin' (pun) DNG straight from the camera.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

I think Roger is on the right track. Mike's image looks like it has been previously adjusted in Lightroom because LR4 flags a warning that the process is different from 'before'. But I don't see any differences in colour as a result of using any of the sharpening presets. I did notice that on import the preview icon was cooler at the start. It became warmer once it appeared in the Library after import. But this happened in LR3.6 too.

Mike - is this DNG from the camera or saved from LR after previous adjustments?

Ian

Leave a comment:

• mike_j
    replied

I have tried this a bit more and it does seem to correct my raw DNG pictures.

Here is the direct link to the raw DNG if you want to try it on my file, 10MB download so be warned!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46890278/For...d/L1077408.DNG

Leave a comment:

• rogleale
    replied

Things are getting complicated!

The 'Process in Photoshop' steps have changed with LR4 beta. You will now get a warning that you may need ACR 7, currently only at 6.6, and you will be given three choices:
    1. Cancel.
    2. Open Anyway: A TIFF will be passed to PS with the LR adjustments included. ACR will make the adjustments that it can understand behind the scenes, ignore the rest, and open the image in PS.
    3. Render using LR: If you have PS set to open Tiffs in ACR, the image will open in ACR

Roger

Leave a comment:

• OlyPaul
    replied

Has I had to downsize the one screen grab there may be a slight shift in tonality.

Here is the image exported both unshapened and preset sharpened in LR4.

No sharpening

Sharpened

Even the blue color cast in my dogs white coat has remained so I'm pretty sure Mike's problem is nothing to do with the sharpening preset alone.

Must say though I'm pretty disappointed with the slowness of adjustments showing and may sway me to stay with LR3 if there is no improvement.

Leave a comment:

• rogleale
    replied

Quite right Geoff! That'll teach me to be lazy and fire up the laptop at the breakfast table! On my big machine they do match.
    I've been a confirmed Photoshop addict since PS6 and I really like the workflow in ACR but have been playing a lot with LR4 now, mainly because I am interested in the book module. Unfortunately LR4 seems more like an alpha than a beta to me as far as speed goes.
    The sliders in the hue etc panel are very slow to produce any effect on the image.
    The change between modules, ie library to develop, is very slow.
    The new clarity control is far too fierce for a very small movement of the slider.
    In the Detail panel it seems to me that the sharpening is less effective than it used to be, and the masking is less precise than before.
    My copy is not picking up on some changes I have made. For instance I made a quick collection for a book, and tagged all pictures in it with purple. When I go to the Book module the only colour collection listed is for Red tags.
    The soft proofing is a good addition to LR but not too easy to use I find so I shall have to work at it.

Roger

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Screen grabs can show colour shifts but it seems to me that both Paul's examples are screen grabs from LR4 so they ought to be the same and they do look the same to me on my monitor.

I will also try to replicate Mike's experience and report back.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Geoff
    replied

Originally posted by rogleale View Post
    You've confused me a bit Paul, to my eye there is quite a pronounced difference between the two shots you posted. In the one with sharpening applied both the grass and the brown twigs in the background are much less saturated, and the grass is yellower.

Roger
    The colours in Paul's images look identical to me! Out of curiosity I copied both images to Photoshop to compare by putting them one on top of the other in layers and the colours are both the same.

Roger, perhaps it is the viewing angle on your monitor that is making the bottom image seem yellower and less saturated.

Regards,

Geoff.

Leave a comment:

• rogleale
    replied

You've confused me a bit Paul, to my eye there is quite a pronounced difference between the two shots you posted. In the one with sharpening applied both the grass and the brown twigs in the background are much less saturated, and the grass is yellower.

Roger

Leave a comment:

• OlyPaul
    replied

Something is amiss there then as just applying sharpening should not effect it.

Perhaps you are applying auto correction without realising it?

DNG import

Preset sharpening applied...no colour difference.

Leave a comment:

• mike_j
    replied

Ian - no I don't like the present spot removal tool compared with a clone tool in PS CS n.n and I'm not alone. It's one of the most criticised tools in another forum which I sometimes visit.

OlyPaul

Re sharpening tool.

This is a screen snip from a direct DNG import.

When I apply the 'Sharpen - narrow edges' tool (and nothing else) this happens (again - screen snip). It's better and saves time but I didn't expect it and don't yet understand what is going on. Maybe it applies auto white balance and auto exposure as part of the preset.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X