• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen
    replied
    Re: Whats your opinion?

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    The more I look at these the more I prefer the one with no person visible. As a matter of fact in the last one, the 'empty' one - I am the person in the picture, I'm walking up the cobbles, up the slope towards that lamp.

Pol
    You make an excellent point Pol. Its the photo that allows the imagination to roam, to dream, even to feel the scene, and the ones with the figures may make this less so. So yes I can see where you are coming from

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    I'd agree Ben, what a difference a person makes However as I said earlier, the picture is about more than the person, they are just 'window dressing'
    The more I look at these the more I prefer the one with no person visible. As a matter of fact in the last one, the 'empty' one - I am the person in the picture, I'm walking up the cobbles, up the slope towards that lamp.

Pol

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied

Originally posted by coupekid View Post
    Having seen it with the figures in Stephen, I have to say that the shot now seems lifeless (well, it is! )

I much prefer it with the gentleman walking toward us.
    I'd agree Ben, what a difference a person makes However as I said earlier, the picture is about more than the person, they are just 'window dressing'

Leave a comment:

• coupekid
    replied

Thanks again all who have offered opinions. Just to satisfy those who prefer it without a figure here is the original figureless
    Having seen it with the figures in Stephen, I have to say that the shot now seems lifeless (well, it is! )

I much prefer it with the gentleman walking toward us.

Leave a comment:

• Tinka
    replied

Hi Stephen,
    The person is, in my opinion, very important to the interest contained in the image, without him it would be lacking a little something, it is a good thing that the tree is between the figure and the tower block as the tower would be growing fron his head.

Leave a comment:

• JSR
    replied

Philosophically speaking, is the person added to the scene or is the scene added to the person?

Or, to put it another way, do we create the world around us or does the world create the person it wants within it?

There, that's my brainwork for the week...

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied

Thanks again all who have offered opinions. Just to satisfy those who prefer it without a figure here is the original figureless

Leave a comment:

• coupekid
    replied

What about this version then

Hi Stephen,

I personally prefer the second shot.

The approaching person, almost seems to have an element of foreboading.

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied

Hello Stephen
    If I could choose a human element in what is a pretty ordinary scene I would go for children in this case. Dont ask me why though. But I can imagine a youngster playing on the railings perhaps or somewhere nearer the foreground.
    But the adults in the back dont do it for me at all I'm afraid.

Leave a comment:

• Pops
    replied

What about this version then

The pic gives the impression of a mild autumn day.
    The first figure seemed to have her head tucked down into a scarf and appeared to be hurrying indicating a cold day or even a cold wind blowing towards her.
    This chap seems to have dressed for a cold day which has turned mild.
    If you really must have a figure in the shot then this is the one.

Oh yes the pic...the shop on the corner looks a bit to modern for the railings, cobblestones and chimney stack. Doesn't quite gel to give off the old Yorkshire/Lancashire town effect

Leave a comment:

• Pol
    replied

The first one is ok, the one with the woman. It might be better if she was slightly further along to the right so the chimney is slightly further away from her head.

The second one, with the fella, would be better if he were wearing a flat cap.

Pol

Leave a comment:

• bigbob
    replied

The figure does look cloned , but i did'nt want to say it

B..

Leave a comment:

• yoshi
    replied

Hi Stephen,
    it looks too late to express my opinion, to my regret.
    The first one works for me but the second one not.
    Human beings are so strong and assertive subject in a picture so unless it is taken as a portrait picture from the very beginning intentionally, IMHO, we need to be careful about including persons. We can see the face of the second figure in a conceivable size and that gives us some influences when we look at this picuture. As this picture is urban landscape in my understanding, including an assertive/influential figure does not work for me.

The first one is ok as it is not that assertive. The clothes colour also matches with the pic and it also adds a good sense of movement in this still picutre. A small dog might also work.
    yoshi

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied

Originally posted by bigbob View Post
    I really don't know , it's better but it still don't work for me , hard to say exactly but it looks odd .
    Very difficult to put my finger on why , if you had'nt had asked for opinions , suggesting you're proberbly not happy either then i would have just said it was a nice urban scene .

B..
    Well as you may have read in my response to Archangel, there was more to than just a 'nice scene'

TBH I'm teasing a bit cos in the original frame there was no figure at all I cloned these figures from other similar shots because I liked to composition of this the best. On balance I feel the addition of a figure adds to the scene, but just wanted opinions on it. Thanks for looking anyway

Leave a comment:

• bigbob
    replied

I really don't know , it's better but it still don't work for me , hard to say exactly but it looks odd .
    Very difficult to put my finger on why , if you had'nt had asked for opinions , suggesting you're proberbly not happy either then i would have just said it was a nice urban scene .

B..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X