Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harris Hawk

Re: Harris Hawk

I can see why you might be saying you're a bit disappointed with the exposures and composition of the images. However - I think you should be very pleased and proud of yourself for stopping, approaching the man and asking him to let you take them. I also think you deserve a pat on the back and a round of applause for managing to maintain his co-operation so you could take several shots!

I really like the first shot very much. Ok, the exposure and composition aren't ideal but the relationship between the bird and the handler is apparent. They were also out and about in a country lane rather than at some birds of prey event so that adds to the overall story of the picture imho. Hang onto all the original files because you'll probably go back to them time after time and rework them as you hone your post processing skills. Also print them out so you can handle them and treasure the thrill and confidence of the moment.

Stopping people and asking for shots isn't an easy thing to do in my opinion. If you can get to the point of being confident enough to do that on a regular basis you're opening up all sorts of photo opportunities for the future.

Well done you!

Pol

Comment

I'd very much agree with what Pol says here. I think the first shot in particular is a great shot, bearing in mind the lighting and circumstances. Its made all that much better by your explanation. This isn't a case of trying to hide or mask the fact that its a captive bird, indeed its not simply a picture of the bird. Its more a case of keeper and bird and as Pol says it shows the relationship between the two well enough.
      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Thanks for your comments.
        I too like the 1st image, it didnt really work for me until I cropped it down at which point it became more of an image with a meaning, the shot before that was with the guy looking at the camera smiling which seemed too staged. The background is far from perfect, and I did add a little blur to try and quieten it down back there. I've played with the image a lot to get it where it is as you can see the side of his face is really grainy from over editing, will post the originals for comparison later. I wish I'd taken more images, but felt I was quite imposing mostly due to the loud sound the camera makes when taking a photo....!! If it hadn’t been so noisy I'd defiantly taken lots more!
        The second image is also cropped down a lot and had a fair amount of PS work to get the shadowed side of image to have any detail.
        It was probably just as interesting (although a little difficult) talking to the chap about his bird & his stories about hunting with her and getting a 'snapshot' of his life as it was taking the photos. The hawk is 2 1/2 years old and I cant for the life of me remember her name, it begins with 'Beo', damn memory.

I certainly have a bit to learn with this camera though, and I cant wait!

Comment

Congratulations on taking the initiative to grab the shots. The first time is always the hardest and this was eased a bit for you by being out in the open.
          The first is a lovely pose. The man's expression speaks volumes for his love of the bird
          -------------------------

Comment

Heres the originals as mentioned.
            Still have alot to learn with PS, although I treied several different things/ways of doing what I know, nothing really helped. Its really easy to get detail back from a under exposed image with th edetails hidden, but hell when its over exposed I struggle, unless theres a few little tips anyone knows
            Been doing a fiar bit of reading on metering and how its affects the exposure etc , I have a couple of days off work, and would you bloomin beleive it - its cloudy today!! After a week or so of sun

Comment

Originally posted by 19ninety View Post
              Heres the originals as mentioned.
              Still have alot to learn with PS, although I treied several different things/ways of doing what I know, nothing really helped. Its really easy to get detail back from a under exposed image with th edetails hidden, but hell when its over exposed I struggle, unless theres a few little tips anyone knows
              Been doing a fiar bit of reading on metering and how its affects the exposure etc , I have a couple of days off work, and would you bloomin beleive it - its cloudy today!! After a week or so of sun

Hi

First of all, well done in overcoming your shyness.

You are quite right lost highlights are just that. shadow detail can often be recovered.
              I use Canon equipment and learned early on to underexpose in very bright sunlight by as much as a stop to retain highlight detail, full winter sunshine on a sharp frosty day is very often very harsh. It may also be worth bracketing your exposures until you learn more about the camera, the instructions are in the manual. I use RAW which gives more flexibility to recover detail. I suspect you used JPG, since the camera processes the image that flexibility is lost.
              It should be possible (again its in the manual) to lower the contrast for JPG exposures, a flat image can always be cheered up in your editing software, retaining detail is the important thing.

Patrick

Comment

Hi Patrick
                Thanks!
                I was out earlier today as it happens and stopped at a sports field and played with AEB setting (-1&+1), Exposure compensation and also using P mode with AE Lock & metering to the background, then 'zooming' out and taking the picture of the scene I wanted, this really just produced the same as adjusting the exposure compensation down. (Pics below) I took serveral in RAW to see how they worked in PS, need a bigger memory card as RAW+L only takes 55 images on my card =(
                Another thing I noticed, well am learning fast, is dont be fooled by what the LCD displays, many great looking pictures I have taken would have been great looking on my monitor too if I'd under exposed then a little, sadly once the colour is gone, its gone =(

A tab extreme, again on the LCD it looked half that dark, got home and was shocked how dark it really was

However, I was supprised how well it coloured, was very vibrant so toned it down a little.

Comment

I'm reading the January 08 edition of a photographic magazine (uk) that has an article on shooting portraits that tell a story! It's about portraying more than just a likeness of a subject, but tells a bit about the subject's character! This sure does & what a scoop! Well done for having the gumption to ask a stranger off the cuff to pose!
                  Jocelyn

Comment

Working...
                  X