Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

900 years apart

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 900 years apart




    900 Years Apart

    This is a view through the wall of a 12th century Buddhist settlement ruin in Thailand. The contemporary scene behind the wall, seen through the window is genuine and not pasted in!

    Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

  • #2
    Re: 900 years apart

    I like this type of thing Ian, well spotted. It is a perfect frame for the modern buildings. I like the way you have composed the photograph, showing the remainder of the wall.
    Audrey

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 900 years apart

      I like the composition of this one. Peering through the large window onto a modern scene really makes me curious as to what is going on. It does add something to the old stonework and highlights the differences admirably, I like the lines running to the centre of the RH side. It's all triangles and squares. I have to admit it does look as though it has been added, but I'll believe you.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 900 years apart

        I think those old ruins look amazing compared to the modern day buildings. They look hand dressed too! Those big holes in the window frames give me the impression that there were once heavy iron bars on the windows? This photo would make a great entry for 'generations'
        Jocelyn

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 900 years apart

          My initial feeling was that the picture seemed to be a tad too much 2 dimensional so I downloaded it to have a better look.

          It was very interesting to note how it looked very much better and definitely more 3D when I viewed it against a *black* backround at full screen.

          I did a bit of experimenting and concluded I definitely feel it could do with some subtle pumping up of the blacks and a touch more contrast.

          I've recently upgraded to CS3 and and am working my way through it, so I simply opened the jpg in ACR, increased the blacks just a touch (slider at about 3 iirc) ...... increased the contrast ever so slightly at the medium point. That seemed to help to make the picci 'pop' better against a white background .... even more so against a black background.

          BTW ..... Danny and DTD are absolutely correct about lynda.com. It's a fantastic site and you can elect for a month's free subscription if you upgrade to CS3.


          Pol

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 900 years apart

            Originally posted by Pol View Post
            My initial feeling was that the picture seemed to be a tad too much 2 dimensional so I downloaded it to have a better look.

            It was very interesting to note how it looked very much better and definitely more 3D when I viewed it against a *black* backround at full screen.

            I did a bit of experimenting and concluded I definitely feel it could do with some subtle pumping up of the blacks and a touch more contrast.

            I've recently upgraded to CS3 and and am working my way through it, so I simply opened the jpg in ACR, increased the blacks just a touch (slider at about 3 iirc) ...... increased the contrast ever so slightly at the medium point. That seemed to help to make the picci 'pop' better against a white background .... even more so against a black background.

            BTW ..... Danny and DTD are absolutely correct about lynda.com. It's a fantastic site and you can elect for a month's free subscription if you upgrade to CS3.


            Pol
            Interesting

            I adjusted this picture on my new laptop as my desktop and big CRT monitor was moved to the new office yesterday and hasn't yet been reconnected.

            No really an excuse, but my laptop has a touch screen (it's a tablet PC)and a very small premium angle of view. I have calibrated the screen, though it's overdue for a re-tune. I haven'ty yet looked at the resulting image on a decent monitor yet.

            Also, did you notice any difference between seeing the picture online and when viewing once downloaded to your PC?

            Ian
            Founder/editor
            Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 900 years apart

              Originally posted by Ian View Post
              Interesting

              I adjusted this picture on my new laptop as my desktop and big CRT monitor was moved to the new office yesterday and hasn't yet been reconnected.

              No really an excuse, but my laptop has a touch screen (it's a tablet PC)and a very small premium angle of view. I have calibrated the screen, though it's overdue for a re-tune. I haven't yet looked at the resulting image on a decent monitor yet.

              Also, did you notice any difference between seeing the picture online and when viewing once downloaded to your PC?

              Ian

              I know exactly what you mean about processing on different screens, especially if one of them is a lappy and the usual is a CRT. I looked at your image using the CRT, which is also due for recalibrating.

              I've noticed some folks commenting on the colour changes when they've uploaded but I must admit I hadn't noticed any striking differences myself. It's a bit difficult to compare online vs CS2 then again vs CS3 but my impression is that they're all about the same on this CRT (Mitsubishi DP).

              I just find your image has a lot more punch against a black background rather than white .... and even more punch if you up the blacks and contrast slightly.

              Perhaps I'm also edging into a dark phase after looking at Danny's recent offerings? I've redone the Dungeness Lighthouse picci several times and I'm still not satisfied. I can tell you it looks near enough the same on my screen as it does online though.

              Hope that helps.

              Pol

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 900 years apart

                Originally posted by Pol View Post
                I know exactly what you mean about processing on different screens, especially if one of them is a lappy and the usual is a CRT. I looked at your image using the CRT, which is also due for recalibrating.

                I've noticed some folks commenting on the colour changes when they've uploaded but I must admit I hadn't noticed any striking differences myself. It's a bit difficult to compare online vs CS2 then again vs CS3 but my impression is that they're all about the same on this CRT (Mitsubishi DP).

                I just find your image has a lot more punch against a black background rather than white .... and even more punch if you up the blacks and contrast slightly.

                Perhaps I'm also edging into a dark phase after looking at Danny's recent offerings? I've redone the Dungeness Lighthouse picci several times and I'm still not satisfied. I can tell you it looks near enough the same on my screen as it does online though.

                Hope that helps.

                Pol
                Oh - no problem

                You caught me out because I always usually err on the side of darkness - I hate producing images where blacks aren't black enough. Might be something to do with past which a) involved a lot of black and white printing and b) shooting trannies. Blacks need to be black!

                That said, I'm not keen on black backgrounds for displaying photos. I personally prefer a neutral grey. I really ought to be less lazy and frame my photos for online display!

                Ian
                Founder/editor
                Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 900 years apart

                  Originally posted by Ian View Post
                  Oh - no problem

                  You caught me out because I always usually err on the side of darkness - I hate producing images where blacks aren't black enough. Might be something to do with past which a) involved a lot of black and white printing and b) shooting trannies. Blacks need to be black!

                  That said, I'm not keen on black backgrounds for displaying photos. I personally prefer a neutral grey. I really ought to be less lazy and frame my photos for online display!

                  Ian

                  I agree with all of that and must admit I was surprised by the way the picture suddenly came to life against a totally black screen! It's not often I've noticed that happen. Your picture appeared very different to how it looked against the white screen. Fascinating!

                  It's just a habit of mine to look at pictures against a black screen before and after adjusting them in PS ..... and I always view against a full background black screen before sending off for prints. The black background just seems to focus my eye on the lines, sharpness and contrast better than grey or white.

                  Besides .... I like black!

                  Pol

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X