Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beeb gets GP back

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beeb gets GP back

    Looks like the BBC has got F1 back from 2009. Good news for all the ITV haters out there. (come on it can't just be me )
    ...........................................
    My PhotoBlog

  • #2
    Re: Beeb gets GP back

    That's certainly good news.

    At last something on the BBC that justifies the licence fee.

    I've forgotten how it was pre-96. Will the BBC have their own commentators and interviewers on the track?

    I get rather fed up of see someone crash out of the race, then Louise Goodman sticks a microphone in their face and says "that didn't go to plan, did it?" As though the guy's going to say "Yes, actually, I planned to crash into the tyre wall. It's been a perfect weekend."

    Then there's Brundle doing the grid-walk and only talking to people who he wants to talk to. The term "impartiality" just applies to other people doesn't it, Martin? And when his favoured few don't want to talk to him, he has no one to interview except z-list celebs he happens to spot.

    Maybe the BBC will be able to get more technically-capable microphones so that we can actually hear the drivers instead of having their valuable insight drowned out by the car engines.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Beeb gets GP back

      Originally posted by JSR View Post
      That's certainly good news.

      At last something on the BBC that justifies the licence fee.

      I've forgotten how it was pre-96. Will the BBC have their own commentators and interviewers on the track?

      I get rather fed up of see someone crash out of the race, then Louise Goodman sticks a microphone in their face and says "that didn't go to plan, did it?" As though the guy's going to say "Yes, actually, I planned to crash into the tyre wall. It's been a perfect weekend."

      Then there's Brundle doing the grid-walk and only talking to people who he wants to talk to. The term "impartiality" just applies to other people doesn't it, Martin? And when his favoured few don't want to talk to him, he has no one to interview except z-list celebs he happens to spot.

      Maybe the BBC will be able to get more technically-capable microphones so that we can actually hear the drivers instead of having their valuable insight drowned out by the car engines.
      The BBC's coverage until the TV take over was ordinary, though we didn't realise that until ITV took over. I was very anti-ITV at the time, but I think they have developed the coverage well.

      I like the Brundle grid walk - I think to say that he only interviews his favourites is unfair - he often starts the grid walk from the back and he knows who is likely to be receptive to an interview and who is not, plus he regularly collars top names and even when it's a non-F1 celeb, he seems very knowledgable. I think Brundle is the star of the show and I hope he is retained.

      Though I am a bit uncomfortable saying it, I can't see a future for Mark Blundell. It would be great if he could be replaced by Damon Hill, though it's unlikely Damon would be interested in the travelling as he has a lot of other interests.

      James Allen does a good job, though I was impressed with Ben Edwards on Eurosport when they were covering F1.

      I'd like to see a return of the original Fleetwood Mac theme music

      I hear that the races will be shown live on the Internet as well.

      Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Beeb gets GP back

        Originally posted by Ian View Post
        I like the Brundle grid walk - I think to say that he only interviews his favourites is unfair - he often starts the grid walk from the back and he knows who is likely to be receptive to an interview and who is not, plus he regularly collars top names and even when it's a non-F1 celeb, he seems very knowledgable. I think Brundle is the star of the show and I hope he is retained.
        I just recall last year when all the trouble was going on at McLaren and Brundle was fawning all over Hamilton. On one of the gridwalks he walked by Alonso's position and said "I don't want to talk to him..." and stormed off away as fast as he could go.

        Regardless of the politically infighting at McLaren and regardless of Brundle's bias towards Hamilton, why should he be the one to deny us a few words from the reigning two-time World Champion as he was at the time? The politics shouldn't matter. Once on the racetrack they are drivers, we are the viewers, and Brundle's meant to be the link between the two during the gridwalk. I tune in to see coverage of F1 and the world's best racing drivers, not to see "The Martin Brundle & Lewis Hamilton Show".

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Beeb gets GP back

          Originally posted by Andrew Thatcher View Post
          Looks like the BBC has got F1 back from 2009. Good news for all the ITV haters out there. (come on it can't just be me )

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Beeb gets GP back

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Beeb gets GP back

              BBC chasing ratings? this is what they should be doing......ratings mean that more people are watching their programmes, which means they are putting out stuff that people like to watch.

              I really like the ITV coverage, though admittadly, the build up does drag sometimes. An hour build up is a little over the top before the racing starts.

              I also wonder whether we will get 'The Chain' back as the theme tune!
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Beeb gets GP back

                Originally posted by Ian View Post
                James Allen does a good job, though I was impressed with Ben Edwards on Eurosport when they were covering F1.

                I'd like to see a return of the original Fleetwood Mac theme music



                Ian

                I hope they get Ben Edwards. Sometimes i just have to turn down Allen. I just can't see them not using the Mac.
                ...........................................
                My PhotoBlog

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Beeb gets GP back

                  Originally posted by coupekid View Post
                  BBC chasing ratings? this is what they should be doing......ratings mean that more people are watching their programmes, which means they are putting out stuff that people like to watch.
                  The trouble with that theory is that you get the largest audience by dumbing down your programmes to appeal to the lowest common denominator. A commercial channel has to do this because advertisers will only advertise if enough people are watching. A non-commercial station shouldn't need to do that and so should give priority to quality programming over chasing ratings.

                  If the BBC want to behave like a commercial station, perhaps they should become one and spare us that compulsory tax they call the licence fee.

                  (No, this isn't a rant against the licence fee - merely a call for better quality programming.)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Beeb gets GP back

                    Yes thats great news but lets hope they show all the qualifying and still show the grid walks. As for the chain that was my ring tone for years. Lets just hope they also show the gp 2 stuff. Not sure if anyone saw the f1 season when it was sky a few years back that was great as they showed all the support races as well. It was the next best thing to being there. With all these digital channels floating about the bbc have plenty of space to show warm ups and such like.

                    Oh and yes it was not a great start to the season for me but it can only get better.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/petebphotos/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Beeb gets GP back

                      Originally posted by JSR View Post
                      The trouble with that theory is that you get the largest audience by dumbing down your programmes to appeal to the lowest common denominator. A commercial channel has to do this because advertisers will only advertise if enough people are watching. A non-commercial station shouldn't need to do that and so should give priority to quality programming over chasing ratings.

                      If the BBC want to behave like a commercial station, perhaps they should become one and spare us that compulsory tax they call the licence fee.

                      (No, this isn't a rant against the licence fee - merely a call for better quality programming.)
                      To be fair, BBC3 and 4 have the lesser dumbed down programmes.....maybe you should watch those
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Beeb gets GP back

                        Originally posted by coupekid View Post
                        To be fair, BBC3 and 4 have the lesser dumbed down programmes.....maybe you should watch those
                        That raises another point. If the "lesser dumbed down programmes" are shown on BBC3 and BBC4 then that forces you to spend more on investing in digital. Funny, I thought the TV licence should pay for BBC content? Clearly they use the power of the law to force us to pay for programmes that many people can't actually watch.

                        If the BBC didn't show quite so much rubbish, just maybe they would manage quite well with just BBC1 and BBC2 - just like the old days.

                        (I'd dispute that BBC3 actually shows "lesser dumbed down programmes", and BBC4 often only manages it by showing repeats of pre-80s programmes, but I feel I've hijacked this thread quite enough already..! )

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Beeb gets GP back

                          Originally posted by JSR View Post
                          That raises another point. If the "lesser dumbed down programmes" are shown on BBC3 and BBC4 then that forces you to spend more on investing in digital. Funny, I thought the TV licence should pay for BBC content? Clearly they use the power of the law to force us to pay for programmes that many people can't actually watch.

                          If the BBC didn't show quite so much rubbish, just maybe they would manage quite well with just BBC1 and BBC2 - just like the old days.
                          )
                          I hear what you are saying, and agree to a point, however, dont forget that digital is a relatively new technolog, and the majority of new televisions now come with a built in freeview box, so I gues you could argue that the BBC are just embracing the new technology.

                          I personally wouldnt want my license money being spent on rolling out the two chanels on analougue, then have to spend more moving over to digital.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Beeb gets GP back

                            Originally posted by coupekid View Post
                            I hear what you are saying, and agree to a point, however, dont forget that digital is a relatively new technolog, and the majority of new televisions now come with a built in freeview box, so I gues you could argue that the BBC are just embracing the new technology.

                            I personally wouldnt want my license money being spent on rolling out the two chanels on analougue, then have to spend more moving over to digital.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Beeb gets GP back

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X