Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC Required

Hi all,

I'm in need of a new bigger, better, faster PC now as my workload is steadily increasing. Can anyone advise me of a spec I will need to look for, capable of high volume editing with several apps open at the same time. The time has come to start looking for something built for the purpose of starting my own business and need something reliable. Even if I have to save up my pennies, I really do have to address this before my current PC starts having problems. Your kind advice would be very much appreciated. x

Gina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Re: New PC Required

My existing Dell is nine years old and still going well. One stuck pixel and the battery now only lasts half an hour...

My new one should arrive on Wednesday.

I got a great deal with a FREE Monitor (which I upgraded to an Ultrasharp)

Well worth looking at
      Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Gina View Post
        Hi all,

I'm in need of a new bigger, better, faster PC now as my workload is steadily increasing. Can anyone advise me of a spec I will need to look for, capable of high volume editing with several apps open at the same time. The time has come to start looking for something built for the purpose of starting my own business and need something reliable. Even if I have to save up my pennies, I really do have to address this before my current PC starts having problems. Your kind advice would be very much appreciated. x

Gina
        Im with Josh almost a year with a Mac now iMac and A MacBook Pro.
        Any mac in my view is better than Windows based PC.

Patrick

Comment

The current imacs are as fast as a mac pro tower just not as much expansion flexibilities.
          All this mac business comes at a price compared to a windows based system, however if you need a stable machine that will last and is perfect for photo editing............;-)
          http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk

Comment

Hi Gina,
            go to your local Apple store they will sort you out! You can run windows on a mac, if you need to, there are several programs that let you switch from one to another at the touch of a button. They have a business section and a one to one training package which is brilliant to get you going and they will answer all your questions. They make PC World look like amateurs. There after sales service is second to none, trust me.
            Happy new year
            John.

Comment

I too thought about this 'runnin windows on a mac' scenario before I switched, I think it was for peice of mind or something stupid, but with respect I can't think of anything that a photographer would need that you can't get for a mac? Please correct me if Im wrong!
              So before you waste money on some software that you will never need, get the mac first and see if there is anything you miss that you cant get.
              Its like buying a farrari and cripling it with tesco tyre's

Comment

Thank you for all your replies. I have heard so many photographer friends recommend the Mac but why? I'm a bit scared to make the change over but if the graphical quality is better then how is that possible, what's the difference between PC (Windows) and Mac, apart from price?

Ash, your ferrari comment made me laugh xx

Comment

Hi Gina, its not about graphics and what you see on the monitor, more about speed and stability, photoshop or whatever you use still looks the same on both computers.
                  To sum it up quickly, all I could think when I first got a mac was why is windows so complicated?
                  Main diference is the operating system(the brain) telling the computer how to do things.
                  Since mac's started using intel processors which for many years were windows only, the mac is now more versatile than ever.
                  Ash.

Comment

Originally posted by ash View Post
                    Hi Gina, its not about graphics and what you see on the monitor, more about speed and stability, photoshop or whatever you use still looks the same on both computers.
                    To sum it up quickly, all I could think when I first got a mac was why is windows so complicated?
                    Main diference is the operating system(the brain) telling the computer how to do things.
                    Since mac's started using intel processors which for many years were windows only, the mac is now more versatile than ever.
                    Ash.

Comment

Last edited by Ian; 02-01-11, 05:51 PM.
                      Founder/editor
                      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Macs all the way for me. Speed, stability, reliability are all in a different league to most Windows PC's. People say that macs are more expensive but if you compare like for like specs, the difference is small. The total cost of ownership is significantly less with Macs. I run 5 computers, 4 macs and a linux server and I estimate that in the three years since I switched to macs I have saved the cost of buying them in the reduction in maintenance and downtime. In the three years I have been running Macs I have not had a single day of downtime and my total virus count is 0 (don't run anti-virus software either). To run my various businesses and do all I need to do from a personal perspective, there is only one program I need that is not available in OS X native version so I run it on my MacBook using VMWare to run Windows.

Once you go Mac you never go back !
                        sigpic

www.imagenary.co.uk
                        www.lujos.co.uk

Comment

There is nothing wrong with buying a Mac, but I personally believe the perceived 'advantages' of a Mac are over-stated my Mac fans. And that shouldn't be a surprise, should it?

I'm not a fan of Windows. I just use computers.

But many ex-Windows users aren't aware of the great step forward Windows 7 represents, both from XP and Vista. And I have known several converts to the Mac who soon switched back to Windows. And of course I've known those who have switched from Windows to Mac who have been very happy.

I am, it has to be said,personally sceptical of the 'no need for anti virus' claim that Mac users seem content with. You don't need to pay for Windows security software if you don't want to. Viruses simply aren't a problem on Windows as long as take simple precautions.

I do tend to respond to threads like this that are dominated by Mac fans because they are not balanced. There is nothing critically wrong with buying either system, but the most important thing is to consider the pros and cons carefully before making your decision.

Ian

Originally posted by Bear View Post
                          Macs all the way for me. Speed, stability, reliability are all in a different league to most Windows PC's. People say that macs are more expensive but if you compare like for like specs, the difference is small. The total cost of ownership is significantly less with Macs. I run 5 computers, 4 macs and a linux server and I estimate that in the three years since I switched to macs I have saved the cost of buying them in the reduction in maintenance and downtime. In the three years I have been running Macs I have not had a single day of downtime and my total virus count is 0 (don't run anti-virus software either). To run my various businesses and do all I need to do from a personal perspective, there is only one program I need that is not available in OS X native version so I run it on my MacBook using VMWare to run Windows.

Once you go Mac you never go back !
                          Founder/editor
                          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

You can stick a high end monitor on any old computer, you will only get an image as good as the signal being input to it dictated by the graphics card.
                            I was pretty much generalising about the graphics between mac and pc of the same spec.
                            Ash

Comment

Ive nothing against windows 7 either, Ann has just got a HP 17" laptop with a core i3 processor running windows 7 and from the short time ive used it is very fast and for 400 quid you cant go wrong, its all about how much you want to spend at the end of the day.
                              Also I think if you have kids its important that they learn to use both systems.
                              The laptop was from comet by the way gina, I dont no if they are still doing the offer, I can always post you a link.
                              cheers
                              Ash.

Comment

Working...
                              X