Broadband Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadband Server

I am thinking of changing my Broadband server, any recommendations ?

Using ADSL.

Thanks,

Ken

Re: Broadband Server

Hi Ken,

What's wrong with your current provider?

I'm reasonably happy with the 10Mb NTL connection I have here, which is via cable rather than ADSL (the latter requires a BT phone connection).

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

NTL 10MB Cable (soon to be 20!) rules but you have to be in an area they're prepared to service. Although I have just the NTL cable internet service now, I did have TV as well originally (now gone over to SKY HD) and I'm not sure if they will do a new installation just for the internet. Others may be able to advise.

I can't believe how reliable NTL cable has been over the last couple of years (it was a nightmare in the early days). In fact I can't remember the last outage - apart from the one I caused myself by leaving my DECT house phone and mobile phone next to the cable modem - be warned, they don't like it! so keep them apart (I think the DECT phone was the main culprit). A couple of feet is all it needs.
      Stuart R
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/fred-canon/

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate

Comment

Hi Ian,
        I'm using Griffin at the moment and as i only have the 500 kb/s it's a bit slow for large downloads , their Max 8MB is a bit pricey when comparing to other servers. I can't get cable so it has to be ADSL.
        Ken
        Last edited by norn iron; 15-12-06, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by norn iron View Post
          Hi Ian,
          I'm using Griffin at the moment and as i only have the 500 kb/s it's a bit slow for large downloads , their Max 8MB is a bit pricey when comparing to other servers. I can't get cable so it has to be ADSL.
          Ken

Comment

Originally posted by StuartR View Post
            NTL 10MB Cable (soon to be 20!) rules but you have to be in an area they're prepared to service. Although I have just the NTL cable internet service now, I did have TV as well originally (now gone over to SKY HD) and I'm not sure if they will do a new installation just for the internet. Others may be able to advise.

I can't believe how reliable NTL cable has been over the last couple of years (it was a nightmare in the early days). In fact I can't remember the last outage - apart from the one I caused myself by leaving my DECT house phone and mobile phone next to the cable modem - be warned, they don't like it! so keep them apart (I think the DECT phone was the main culprit). A couple of feet is all it needs.

Comment

Hmmmm!

First of all, why are you using the STB for your broadband? Wouldn't a separate cable modem be better? Mine is the one I had originally installed 3-4 years ago and it's handling 10Mb fine.

We recently had our Pace STB changed for a Samsung and it has made a world of difference to the reliability of the TV viewing and interactive stuff now works for the first time ever.

The reason the Pace box was changes was because of persistent, if minor, reliability issues. The engineer simply made a judgment call on the day. We have never had to pay for any of our NTL hardware and this must be the 6th box (including a couple of analogue ones right at the start) that we've had.

And I can't agree that competition "does not breed better prices and better service" - without competition I doubt we'd even have broadband yet. The problem with NTL is that there is no *cable* competition; it's the only cable operator in its cabled areas. But on the whole the NTL service has improved a great deal in my opinion. It used to be dire, but now I don't worry about it at all. There is plenty of choice for ADSL customers and there, usually, by paying a bit more and researching your connection, you can get a very good all round deal.

Ian
              Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                Hmmmm!

First of all, why are you using the STB for your broadband? Wouldn't a separate cable modem be better? Mine is the one I had originally installed 3-4 years ago and it's handling 10Mb fine.
                Mainly because we had NTL cable TV & phone long before we had broadband. When we switched from a dial-up service to NTL's 150K broadband, it was just a case of them doing something to the STB. We didn't know anything about the differences at the time.

We recently had our Pace STB changed for a Samsung and it has made a world of difference to the reliability of the TV viewing and interactive stuff now works for the first time ever.

The reason the Pace box was changes was because of persistent, if minor, reliability issues. The engineer simply made a judgment call on the day. We have never had to pay for any of our NTL hardware and this must be the 6th box (including a couple of analogue ones right at the start) that we've had.
                And I can't agree that competition "does not breed better prices and better service" - without competition I doubt we'd even have broadband yet. The problem with NTL is that there is no *cable* competition; it's the only cable operator in its cabled areas. But on the whole the NTL service has improved a great deal in my opinion. It used to be dire, but now I don't worry about it at all. There is plenty of choice for ADSL customers and there, usually, by paying a bit more and researching your connection, you can get a very good all round deal.
                All I can say is that I've been on the cable forum browsing for some time and there are no end of posts from people who left NTL due to lousy service and other reasons, but then came back because the "competition" was no better. They figure "better the devil you know".

Comment

Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Founder/editor

Comment