Do you have a really special lens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a really special lens?

I asked a similar question a couple of years ago. I want to know if there is a particular lens that you have used that wowed you in particular. It might be because of image quality, or that it's high speed and really usable in low light, or simply because it's so versatile you couldn't be without it. It doesn't have to be a lens you own or currently use.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Canon 7D, Canon 40D, + lots of bits

Comment

Re: Do you have a really special lens?

The Olympus 350mm f2.8. I've owned it for a couple of decades using first with my OM system, using it today with my 4/3 bodies. I've had shot published using a 2x-A and 1.4x-A stacked behind the lens to give me a 1000mm f8.

E-3, 1.4x-A and 350mm;

OM2n, 2x-A and 350mm, not a usable combination according to Olympus;

OM2n, 1.4x-A and 350mm;

E-410 and 350mm. The line of text below Dead Slow No Wake reads 'By Order of the Southampton Harbour Authority';

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. Terry Pratchett.

Comment

This is one of the lenses I did want but could not afford ... some decades ago.
        I recall instead of this 350/2.8 I bought a Tamron 300/2.8.

BTW you have an amazing skill to get a good focus on a flying bird manually.
        I still keep my OM system but never used them for years.

yoshi

Comment

The 40mm f1.7 Zuiko of the Olympus 35RD was all I used for many years, so when I finally got an SLR the 28-70 range felt very familiar.

As soon as Ian let me try the Olympus 14-35 f/2, I just had to get one and 80% of my images are now produced with it.
          Graham

Comment

Back when I was using film, my old Miranda 50mm f/1.8 standard lens was exceptionally sharp. That stands out for me...

Ian
            Founder/editor

Comment

I have three favourites and find it difficult choosing just one.

After some deliberation I guess it has to be the Olympus 70-300 (140-600). It is superb for wildlife photography and offers wonderful dof in certain situations. If it were a brighter lens there would have been no hesitation.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                I can remember using zooms in my early film days in the late 70s and early 80s and they were by and large awful. I could not afford the decent ones like a Series 1 Vivitar, or the like. But today, even some kit zooms are really very decent performers.

Ian
                Been there done that.

In my film days I owned some of the better regarded zooms and sold them all on.

I still have over a dozen OM primes and used to carry 6 to 8 of them when shooting film.
                Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. Terry Pratchett.

Comment

I was about to say the same.

This is probably my favourite shot with that lens. Taken about 3am in the hotel grounds when in Orlando. 200mm f11 1/200 iso 100 with flash

I'm very tempted by the IS version, but can't justify it, this one's just so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Eddie View Post
                    I was about to say the same.

This is probably my favourite shot with that lens. Taken about 3am in the hotel grounds when in Orlando. 200mm f11 1/200 iso 100 with flash

I'm very tempted by the IS version, but can't justify it, this one's just so good.
                    Do you sharpen your images after resizing for the web? This looks a little soft to me. I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the underlying sharpness, but it does need crispening up a bit for the web I feel

Ian
                    Founder/editor

Comment

This was just wheni started shooting RAW i think so my process has changed since. Generally though I just sharpen for on screen and then upload. Possibly the quick resize i did last night affected it; the original is ok in print.

edit: loking at the one I uploaded months ago to flickr this one looks softer.

Comment

Working...
                      X