Shutter shenanigans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutter shenanigans

I have just posted an article that explores some advances in camera shutter technologies over on our Four Thirds User site:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2013/06/i...tter_speed.php

Basically, it looks at the increasing implementation of what's called an electronic first curtain focal plane shutter...

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: Shutter shenanigans

Interestingly at the "other end" of the market, there are the Schneider Kreuznach leaf shutter lenses for the Phase One Cameras.

The introduction of this new shutter technology maybe yet another step in the degrading of quality as technology is thrust on us...http://dpnow.com/forum2/blog.php?b=369
    Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
      Interestingly at the "other end" of the market, there are the Schneider Kreuznach leaf shutter lenses for the Phase One Cameras.

The introduction of this new shutter technology maybe yet another step in the degrading of quality as technology is thrust on us...http://dpnow.com/forum2/blog.php?b=369
      Correct me if I am wrong, but did Olympus use an electronic shutter in the E10 and E20? Which must be more than 10 years ago now.
      As you may remember Ian I use one for a few years. I remember it was silent and if you wanted a shutter sound you could switch it on.

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
        Correct me if I am wrong, but did Olympus use an electronic shutter in the E10 and E20? Which must be more than 10 years ago now.
        As you may remember Ian I use one for a few years. I remember it was silent and if you wanted a shutter sound you could switch it on.

Patrick
        The E-10 and E-20 did offer live view so they would have sensors that could operate without a physical shutter. But I am pretty sure that for taking actual photos the camera used a leaf shutter. These are very quiet compared to focal plane shutters but are limited in top speed and the E-10/20 were limited to 1/640th second.

Ian
        Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
          The E-10 and E-20 did offer live view so they would have sensors that could operate without a physical shutter. But I am pretty sure that for taking actual photos the camera used a leaf shutter. These are very quiet compared to focal plane shutters but are limited in top speed and the E-10/20 were limited to 1/640th second.

Ian

Comment

I have done some homework - I remain convinced that both the E-10 and E-20 had mechanical leaf shutters - there was blanking in the optical viewfinder when you took a picture. However, the E-20 only did also offer a sensor shutter mode that increased the maximum shutter speed to 1/4000th and even 1/18,000th, but only at reduced resolution.

Ian
            Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
              I have done some homework - I remain convinced that both the E-10 and E-20 had mechanical leaf shutters - there was blanking in the optical viewfinder when you took a picture. However, the E-20 only did also offer a sensor shutter mode that increased the maximum shutter speed to 1/4000th and even 1/18,000th, but only at reduced resolution.

Ian

Still miss that camera in some ways, picture quality perhaps would be lacking by today's standards, none the less I won gold medals at exhibition with pictures from it.

Patrick

Comment

Julia's brother has a big (20x24 or thereabouts) framed print taken with my E-20 on his wall - you would be hard pressed to find fault with it.

Unfortunately, my E-20 was stolen at Stansted Airport back in 2003.

Ian
                Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                  Still miss that camera in some ways, picture quality perhaps would be lacking by today's standards, none the less I won gold medals at exhibition with pictures from it.

Patrick
                  Patrick, we (myself and partner Nick) Both still have our E-20P each and I do use mine for MACRO images. I was always so VERY impressed with its IQ even at only 5Mp ... if I could put a faster motor in it, I would

Comment

You have one EACH!

Ian
                    Founder/editor

Comment

We started off sharing one ! ... BUT for longevity of our relationship, we bought a second (pre-loved one)

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                        Patrick, we (myself and partner Nick) Both still have our E-20P each and I do use mine for MACRO images. I was always so VERY impressed with its IQ even at only 5Mp ... if I could put a faster motor in it, I would
                        Mine the E10 was 4 million pixels but quality was still good, won a gold MCPF medel with a picture made with the camera.
                        The problem if I remember with the E20, was the increase in pixels was not matched by more processing power in the camera, making it slower than the E10. Both were extremely solid in lbuild quality.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
                        X