Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I think I'd like a DSLR, but...

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    It seems to me that if you are happy to relinquish all responsibility for the end result of your files, and you are not prepared to spend time processing your shots to get what you want, then it is a waste of time shooting Raw and having the control it potentially offers. Shoot jpegs and upload to Photobox would seem the best solution for you.

I think that if you invest in a decent raw processing program then the time spent processing raw can be minimised and you can potentially get a better result and enjoy this element of the image producing process
    I think this is another rare situation where I have to respectfully disagree

Being a great photographer doesn't necessarily mean one is guaranteed to be great at post processing. But by shooting in RAW you give the best raw materials for someone who is blessed with excellent post processing skills.

My friend, Danny Chau, was hired by hundreds of photographers to produce the best possible printed results. That was a large proportion of his business.

I'm sure he could produce a better printed result from my own photography

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
      I think this is another rare situation where I have to respectfully disagree

Being a great photographer doesn't necessarily mean one is guaranteed to be great at post processing. But by shooting in RAW you give the best raw materials for someone who is blessed with excellent post processing skills.

My friend, Danny Chau, was hired by hundreds of photographers to produce the best possible printed results. That was a large proportion of his business.

I'm sure he could produce a better printed result from my own photography

Ian
      Whilst I don't disagree with what you are saying. There certainly are and indeed always have been photographers that are so busy that they have to have other people process their photography. Then they charge a fortune for their images However this is somewhat clouding the issue I was responding to. I felt that the OP was implying that the dSLR was too much like hard work and that he was trapped by built in obsolescence which was costing him money. All he seems to want to do is take photos without having the bother of processing his raw files. Again one could reasonable assume that he could be as well letting the camera do the work as is what happens in most compacts.
      Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Canon G 10. 80 iso.

Last edited by pewidane; 23-03-09, 02:22 PM.
        PEDER WINGE.
        (Denmark)
        "You dont take a photograph,you make it"

Comment

Speaking as someone who only recently upgraded from a bridge to an slr (Fuji S9000 > Sony A100) I think part of the reason people don't upgrade is expense. Another is fiddling with lens' and the resulting sensor dust etc. I think the majority of people (who don't already own an slr) aren't interested in photography just want something to take snaps with or are happy with what they can get from a bridge camera. Me I like fiddling with lens' etc

Comment

Originally posted by jaqian View Post
            Speaking as someone who only recently upgraded from a bridge to an slr (Fuji S9000 > Sony A100) I think part of the reason people don't upgrade is expense. Another is fiddling with lens' and the resulting sensor dust etc. I think the majority of people (who don't already own an slr) aren't interested in photography just want something to take snaps with or are happy with what they can get from a bridge camera. Me I like fiddling with lens' etc
            Hi - welcome to DPNow!

Did you but the A100 new? It's been discontinued for nearly a year - or did you buy an end of line bargain, or maybe a second hand one?

The replacement A200 is just about the least expensive DSLR on the market, although it has quite a reasonable specification.

How long did you consider getting an DSLR?

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, which is designed to scoop up those who baulked at buying a DSLR, probably wouldn't rate highly for people looking for a low-priced entry into DSLRs.

Ian
            Founder/editor

Comment

Comment

You are right Gkardos dust on the sensor is a real headache for dslr users, hopefully technology will eventually solve the problem. I would be interested in your choice of single lens camera has there are so many on the market at present.

Comment

Originally posted by Gez View Post
                  You are right Gkardos dust on the sensor is a real headache for dslr users, hopefully technology will eventually solve the problem. I would be interested in your choice of single lens camera has there are so many on the market at present.
                  Sensor dust has already been successfully addressed. Only Pentax and Sony haven't yet implemented ultrasonically vibrated filters that can shake the dust away and so protect the sensor light path. There some big exceptions - the Nikon D3 and new D3x aren't protected in this way.

Ian
                  Founder/editor

Comment

I need to take the photo at the instant I press the button, not seconds after. So far there appears to be a compromise between speed and quality with affordable DSLRs. This was never the situation with film SLRs.

Comment

Originally posted by SkySkape View Post
                      I need to take the photo at the instant I press the button, not seconds after. So far there appears to be a compromise between speed and quality with affordable DSLRs. This was never the situation with film SLRs.
                      I agree. However, you still had to manually focus(for the most part) and for quite awhile you had to set f stop, shutter speed manually after using a hand held light meter to decide upon exposure. In addition, if this was once in a lifetime shot, you also had to bracket the exposure (slide or negative color) on both sides to assure one shot that came out right.

Life is a series of trade offs.

Doc_Gary

Comment

Working...
                      X