Clear All

• I think I'd like a DSLR, but...

They are too expensive.
    66.67%
    They are too difficult to use.
    0.00%
    They are too big and bulky.
    0.00%
    I'd like these cameras to work more like my current compact camera.
    16.67%
    Some other reason that I will explain in the discussion thread here.
    16.67%

The poll is expired.

Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: I think I'd like a DSLR, but...

Having both a dSLR and a compact camera, I would have to say that size/bulk would have to be the major reason for not owning a dSLR. As a result of this, convenience comes into play, the ability to put a camera in your pocket, have a focal length range that negates the need for separate lenses are both important factors. Smaller dSLRs are coming on the market though and for some who would really like the better quality they percieve is possible from such cameras, it maybe the thing that swings the balance.
    Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      Having both a dSLR and a compact camera, I would have to say that size/bulk would have to be the major reason for not owning a dSLR. As a result of this, convenience comes into play, the ability to put a camera in your pocket, have a focal length range that negates the need for separate lenses are both important factors. Smaller dSLRs are coming on the market though and for some who would really like the better quality they percieve is possible from such cameras, it maybe the thing that swings the balance.
      I know you have a Canon Power Shot G9, if I recall? How do you rate the image quality from this compared to your Canon EOS 1D Mark II (is that the right one? )

In the forthcoming issue of What Digital Camera (April 09) the Canon G10 is compared to a Panasonic Lumix G1 'hybrid' (DSLR-like but without a mirror/prism reflex viewfinder) and compact DSLR - the Olympus E-520. In the article the G10 is at quite a big disadvantage to the others in terms of image quality - and it has the most pixels, too.

Ian
      Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
        I know you have a Canon Power Shot G9, if I recall? How do you rate the image quality from this compared to your Canon EOS 1D Mark II (is that the right one? )

In the forthcoming issue of What Digital Camera (April 09) the Canon G10 is compared to a Panasonic Lumix G1 'hybrid' (DSLR-like but without a mirror/prism reflex viewfinder) and compact DSLR - the Olympus E-520. In the article the G10 is at quite a big disadvantage to the others in terms of image quality - and it has the most pixels, too.

Ian
        Its sometimes difficult to knock the quality of the shots taken with the G9 when images are taken for web use or smallish prints. However they must be taken at the lowest ISO possible. Just by way of an illustration check out this photo taken by David Nightingale on Chromasia its a shot of his daughter stood in shallow sea water and was taken on his Canon G9.

I was amazed at the apparent quality of the image. However move the ISO up to 400 and beyond and its a different story. Also even though I shoot with the G9 in Raw the resulting jpegs don't stand up to high magnification like the images from the 1D, which can be shown at 100% with little loss in quality. (the 1D btw has an APS H sensor and is therefore bigger than regular APS C cameras, but smaller than the FF 1DS)

The sensor on the G9/10 has a slightly bigger sensor than the average digicam but its still a lot smaller than a 4/3rds sensor so its never going to be able to match for overall quality
        Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

I have bought a new Canon G 10 (14 mil pixel) and are very disappointed with this camera ,it is slow in everiting it do,the image quality is much worse than my 8 year old Panasonic DMC-LC 5 E (4 mil pixel) the lens in the Panasonic, Leica Summicron are absolutly better.Who neds 14 mil pixel,it is idiotic to put so many pixel in such a small camera.I can print excellent images in A3 with only 4 mil pixel. The quality of my Nikon D 40 are skyhigh when compare with the Canon G 10.The reason why i bought the Canon was the Panasonic was defect.So Stephen dont by a G 10.
          PEDER WINGE.
          (Denmark)
          "You donīt take a photograph,you make it"

Comment

Originally posted by pewidane View Post
            I have bought a new Canon G 10 (14 mil pixel) and are very disappointed with this camera ,it is slow in everiting it do,the image quality is much worse than my 8 year old Panasonic DMC-LC 5 E (4 mil pixel) the lens in the Panasonic, Leica Summicron are absolutly better.Who neds 14 mil pixel,it is idiotic to put so many pixel in such a small camera.I can print excellent images in A3 with only 4 mil pixel. The quality of my Nikon D 40 are skyhigh when compare with the Canon G 10.The reason why i bought the Canon was the Panasonic was defect.So Stephen dont by a G 10.
            This is interesting as overall I have been pleased with my G9, it is the field of view (35mm equiv) that lets it down for me. I had been considering selling it though and going for the G10 or perhaps the Panasonic LX2. I may have a rethink
            Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

This is interesting as overall I have been pleased with my G9, it is the field of view (35mm equiv) that lets it down for me. I had been considering selling it though and going for the G10 or perhaps the Panasonic LX2. I may have a rethink
              By the Panasonic DMC LX 3 . I do
              PEDER WINGE.
              (Denmark)

Comment

Hi Stephen

As you may remember I have recently bought a G10 and all I can say is Peder must have a faulty example, I am stunned by the quality of mine, their are now 5 people in the photo club with them and all praise the quality.
                I do agree with Peder as regard the constant increase in pxels we in general don't need it, far better the makers work on increasing dynamic rang.

We had a professional speaker Guy Edwards http://www.guyedwardes.com/ last Monday whose work is jaw dropping and unbelievable quality. He praises his G10 very highly and some of the images were taken using a G10 mixed in with work from his full frame DSLR's.
                Here is an example of something I did this weekend plus a 100% crop of the same image.
                Processed from its RAW file, tweaked for contrast and sharpened slightly in Lightroom 2, and re-sized for posting in CS4.

Patrick
                Attached Files

Comment

Patrick, many thanks for your input and restoring my faith somewhat in the G10

However, I would have to say that IMHO the first shot might benefit from even more sharpening, and the second 100% shot pretty much illustrates the point I made about quality when enlarged. I think it leaves something to be desired compared with an equiv shot from a dSLR
                  Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Dear Stephen when i only use 9 mil pixel the pictures are getting better so maybe i am wrong in my judgment.These 2 pictures are looking better.

Somting strange happed when printing an A3 kopi,pictures looking very out of fokus in photoshop was not in the print ?.

Last edited by pewidane; 20-03-09, 12:01 PM.
                    PEDER WINGE.
                    (Denmark)

Comment

Patrick, many thanks for your input and restoring my faith somewhat in the G10

However, I would have to say that IMHO the first shot might benefit from even more sharpening, and the second 100% shot pretty much illustrates the point I made about quality when enlarged. I think it leaves something to be desired compared with an equiv shot from a dSLR

Hi Stephen

Was there ever a question of the G10 meeting the standards of a DSLR?
                      particularly the quality of the type of camera you own a 1d Mk II I think?

A 100% crop won't match my 40D, but as a compact its excellent, I have printed an A3 with full detail which is not a million miles away from looking as good as a print of my DSLR.

One thing I didn't mention on my first post was the exposure was made with the zoom at its maximum focal length.
                      Here I have posted another at the widest focal length, same processing but a little more sharpening this time.
                      The weakness as with all compacts and will always be, until the sensors are made much bigger are prints with a heavy crop and higher ISO ratings.

If the photographer knows the camera limitations and works within them great images can be made.
                      Compared with my old Minolta compact the G10 is in a different league, I wouldn't have considered making an exhibition print from that, but could very well do so from the G10.

Before buying I was considering the Panasonic LX3 and if the lens had had more length on the zoom that would have been my choice.

Patrick
                      Attached Files

Comment

Dear Stephen when i only use 9 mil pixel the pictures are getting better so maybe i am wrong in my judgment.These 2 pictures are looking better.

Somting strange happed when printing an A3 kopi,pictures looking very out of fokus in photoshop was not in the print ?.

Peder, I am struggling to see any real difference in quality with the last 2 pics. Apart from the obvious difference in depth of field and a slight difference in colour, both are of equal quality I would say.

I think the real difference in quality comes when the ISO on the G10 is raised above 200 and definitely 400. Also when enlarging to 100% the Canon loses some definition.

It is odd about what you see in Photoshop compared with a print. I suppose your monitor is OK?
                        Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                          Hi Stephen

Was there ever a question of the G10 meeting the standards of a DSLR?
                          particularly the quality of the type of camera you own a 1d Mk II I think?

A 100% crop won't match my 40D, but as a compact its excellent, I have printed an A3 with full detail which is not a million miles away from looking as good as a print of my DSLR.

One thing I didn't mention on my first post was the exposure was made with the zoom at its maximum focal length.
                          Here I have posted another at the widest focal length, same processing but a little more sharpening this time.
                          The weakness as with all compacts and will always be, until the sensors are made much bigger are prints with a heavy crop and higher ISO ratings.

If the photographer knows the camera limitations and works within them great images can be made.
                          Compared with my old Minolta compact the G10 is in a different league, I wouldn't have considered making an exhibition print from that, but could very well do so from the G10.

Before buying I was considering the Panasonic LX3 and if the lens had had more length on the zoom that would have been my choice.

Patrick
                          Patrick, I had sensed that your photos shown here as attachments were not as sharp as I would have expected. I did a test myself and discovered that the forum software was compressing and resizing attachments. This has now been rectified so any potential loss of quality should now have been minimised.
                          Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Peder, I am struggling to see any real difference in quality with the last 2 pics. Apart from the obvious difference in depth of field and a slight difference in colour, both are of equal quality I would say.

I think the real difference in quality comes when the ISO on the G10 is raised above 200 and definitely 400. Also when enlarging to 100% the Canon loses some definition.

It is odd about what you see in Photoshop compared with a print. I suppose your monitor is OK?
                            [/left]
                            Yes there are not very big difference,i have wondered about the Canon G 10 was so bad,and has now switched to my old screen and it is much better,there is no doubt ,my new Benq V 2400w is defekt and will be returned,and i will not replace the Canon G 10.
                            PEDER WINGE.
                            (Denmark)

Comment

Yes there are not very big difference,i have wondered about the Canon G 10 was so bad,and has now switched to my old screen and it is much better,there is no doubt ,my new Benq V 2400w is defekt and will be returned,and i will not replace the Canon G 10.
                              Peder, have you custom profiled your new screen? That could be the problem. It's very important that your screen should be calibrated and profiled.

I would say your screen is not faulty, but needs to be calibrated and profiled.

Ian
                              Founder/editor

Comment

Working...
                              X